It’s bigger and heavier than the model it replaces, now measuring 4780mm in length (+95mm), 1890mm in width (+5mm) with a 2780mm wheelbase (+80mm). Bringing about a lower and sportier appearance is the height, which has been reduced by 45mm to 1690mm.
Ground clearance remains unchanged at 185mm while the rear overhang has increased by 15mm to 1055mm (front overhang remains unchanged at 945mm).
The exterior upsizing has resulted in improved interior space for the seven-seater SUV in all three rows with the new model allowing for more headroom, now measuring 1,004mm, 998mm and 921mm (+8, +3 and +15) respectively as well as legroom, 1,120mm, 1000mm and 805mm (+25mm, +15mm and +1mm) respectively.
Storage capacity is also up, with cargo space increasing thanks to a longer cargo bay floor (up by 87 mm). This means with the third row flat (five-seater position) there’s now 605L of luggage capacity (+90L), while total luggage capacity (two-seater position) comes in at 1662L.
The new Kia Sorento also gains a new under-floor tonneau cover storage compartment as well as cargo net hooks. It has an 11.1m turning circle.
Kia Australia will offer the base variant Si ($40,990, up $2000 from the old base price) as a front-wheel drive model only. As with the higher-specified SLi front-wheel drive, it’s coupled to the new 3.3-litre V6 with multi point injection (MPI) that delivers 199kW of power and 318Nm of torque. This same engine is used in the new Kia Carnival but with the benefit of direct injection, which means the Sorento version misses out on the additional 7kW and 18Nm.
The refined 2.2-litre turbodiesel is carried over from the previous generation but now with 147kW of power and 447Nm of torque. Diesel versions carry a $3500 price increase, but also add the benefit of all-wheel drive.
Both engines use the existing six-speed automatic transmission carried over from the previous model. Combined city and highway fuel economy is rated at 9.9 litres per 100km for the front-wheel drive petrol models and 7.8L/100km for the all-wheel drive diesel variants.
The third-generation Sorento is currently rated as the safest SUV in Australia, a score no doubted aided by its construction from 52.7 percent ultra-high tensile steel (UHTS) and 10.1 percent ultra-strong hot-stamped steel, which compares favourably to the previous-generation model which was made of up of 24.4 and 4.1 percent respectively.
Kia says the stronger steel has been primarily put to use in reinforcing the wheel arches, tailgate surround and rear-wheel surround as well as the A and B pillars.
Kia has also reduced noise vibration and harshness (NVH), with the increase in torsional rigidity of the new bodyshell (up by 14 percent), larger engine and transmission mounts, additional soundproofing material for the transmission tunnel, a thicker dashboard soundproofing panel (up 29 percent), a new diesel particulate filter (DFP) cover and an sound shield integrated into the engine’s timing chain cover.
Read: 2015 Kia Sorento Review
Standard equipment across the model line up includes:
2015 Kia Sorento Si:
- 17-inch alloy wheels (235/65/R17)
- Full size spare
- ABS, ESC, VSM, HAC, ESS
- Front and rear parking sensors with dash display
- Rear view camera and parking guidelines
- Auto headlamps
- Front and rear fog lamps
- Auto door lock (speed sensing)
- 3x top tether and 2x ISOFIX child anchorage points
- Drive and front passenger SRS airbags
- Front side SRS airbags
- Curtain SRS airbags (front to rear)
- Alarm system with immobiliser
- Seven seats
- Cloth trim
- Electrically folding mirrors
- Roof rails
- Rear spoiler
- Cruise control
- 3.5-inch monochrome LCD instrument cluster
- Digital speedometer
- 3x 12volt power outlet
- 2x USB charger
- 6x cup holders
- 4x bottle holder
- 7-Inch colour LCD touchscreen with satellite navigation
- 6-speaker audio system with iPod support
- Bluetooth phone and audio streaming
- Air vent for all three rows
- Dual-zone climate control
2015 Kia Sorento SLi
In addition to the Si
- 18-inch allows (235/60 R18)
- Electrochromic rear view mirror
- Smart key with push button start
- Leather trim seats
- 8-way power driver’s seat
- Hands free power tailgate
- LED rear combination lamps
- Privacy glass
- Aero-blade type front wipers
- Wood-look trim steering wheel and floor console trim
- 7-inch colour TFT supervision instrument cluster
- Alloy door scuff panels
- Allow sport pedals
- Ion plated centre fascia and air vent surrounds
- Centre console illumination
2015 Kia Sorento Platinum
In addition to the SLi
- 19-inch alloy wheels (235/55 R19)
- LED daytime running light (DRLs)
- HID front headlamps
- Adaptive front lighting system
- Blind spot detection
- Lane change assist
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Lane departure warning system
- Smart cruise control
- 10-way power driver’s seat with memory function
- 8-way power front passenger seat
- Panoramic sunroof
- Heated steering wheel
- Sunshade blind for 2nd row
- Luggage net
- 10 speaker Infinity audio system
- Auto defog feature
- Ventilated and heated front seats
- Heated 2nd row seats
- Black and stone two tone leather interior colour (no cost option)
2015 Kia Sorento Pricing (plus on-road costs):
- Si - $40,990
- SLi - $45,990
- Si - $44,490
- SLi - $49,490
- Platinum - $55,990