We don’t usually report on a lot of motor sport here at CarAdvice but a win in a genuine showroom production car race is worth a mention, especially as the outright victor was one of our favourite sports sedans, the Mitsubishi Evolution X.
Even more so when it is a back-to-back win and the first in the history of the WPS Bathurst 12 Hour endurance race.
After 12 hours and 239 laps, the 2009 WPS Bathurst 12 Hour endurance race was won by 2008 Bathurst 12 Hour champions Rod Salmon, Damien White, and new driver, Tony Longhurst, in a TMR-prepared Skwirk Mitsubishi Evo X.
It was a decisive win for Team Mitsubishi Ralliart, which dominated the top of the leader board with both of its Lancer Evolution X entries, and finished in first and second place respectively, and making up an Evolution X 1-2-3 on the 2009 podium.
Their team-mates, the TMR Evo X of Ricciardello, Crimp and Kostera, battled until the final hour when White began to pull away. The race was eventually won by 6.4 seconds.
“It’s one of the most spectacular results I could hope for, and the TMR Skwirk Evo X has been faultless,” said driver and team owner Rod Salmon.
“The team, Tony and Damien: I’ve got to take hat off to them, and what a legend Damian is. That last hour, the pressure – that’s why they call him Ice!”
“We came here and knew what we wanted to do, and it’s a big ask to win once – to win twice is a real fairytale, a dream come true.”
TMR manager Alan Heaphy said; “How much better can you get, the 12 Hour win and the second-fastest lap time with one car, and second place and the lap record with the other.”
“We came here in 1991 with Nissan GT-R’s and blitzed them, and we’ve done the same now with the Evo X. Brilliant.”
2009 WPS Bathurst 12 hour -Final results
1. 1 R.Salmon/T.Longhurst/D.White – TMR Australia Mitsubishi Lancer RS -12:00:05.9576
2. 55 G.Crimp/T.Ricciardello/S.Kostera – West Surfing Products Mitsubishi Lancer RS – 12:00:12.4363 – 12:29.9865
3. 35 J.Bargwana/S.Knight/B.Jones – PRO-DUCT Motorsport Mitsubishi Lancer RS – 12:01:39.6011
4. 43 D.Wall/D.Wall/T.Symonds – Easts Holiday Parks Mitsubishi Lacer GSR – 12:01:10.3492
5. 11 B.Morcom/L.Searle/P.Stubber – Rondo Building Services BMW 335i -12:01:11.2521
6. 3 S.Jones/K.Wade/A.Caratti – Messages on Hold/Tyrepower Mitsubishi Lancer RS – 12:01:55.2134
7. 23 S.Briffa/M.Zukanovic/T.Sipp – GSK Group Holden VE R8 Clubsport – 12:03:51.0836
8. 20 G.Holt/P.Morris/R.Shaw – Eastern Creek Karts BMW 335i – 12:00:56.9210
9. 24 G.Walden/B.Walden/M.Auld – Walden Motorsport Holden Commodore SS – 12:01:48.1913
10. 62 T.Leahey/P.Hill/E.Bana – Love the Beast Mitsubishi Lancer RS – 12:01:56.3143