"With aggressive styling and features like 20-inch alloys and performance suspension the Dodge Nitro delivers that little something mid-size four-wheel drive buyers are still searching for - attitude," said Gerry Jenkins, managing director, Chrysler Group Australia.
Of course this is coming from Mr Jenkins who was more than happy to admit that most people view American cars as "always big", I am sure this car doesn't do much to change that stereotype!
"Dodge's bold and masculine styling - think Viper and Caliber - is hot-wired into Nitro, inside and out. It's for customers that want something totally different, that stands out from the crowd. Nitro will heat up the mid-size SUV market giving consumers a quality vehicle with killer looks, unsurpassed utility and features that will surprise," said Gerry Jenkins
The Dodge Nitro is only a five seater, despite its size. However, as with other dodge cars, the Americans are getting a little creative with car features, if it wasn't a fridge in the car to hold your Beer and Big mac, its gotta be something else just as crazy.
So what does the Nitro get?
- Load 'n Go, a new innovation which Dodge says is ideal for loading and unloading packages and other items into the vehicles boot space - the cargo floor travels 46 centimetres, extending over the rear bumper, and holds over 180 kilograms.
- MyGIG allows customers to use touch screen or voice commands to control all of Nitro's entertainment and communication technologies, and includes satellite navigation as well as a 20-gigabyte hard drive where music and photos can be stored.
Can I just point out to Dodge, that putting a Hard Drive in a car is a bad bad bad idea, not because the fundamental idea behind the whole thing is flawed, but because Hard Drives tend to die, very often (especially when they are moving while turned on) so having a hard drive in a car, no matter how well protected, is still not the best idea as the hard drive will not last past 5 years or so.
The Nitro is set to come out with
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP),
- All-speed Traction Control
- advanced multi-stage air bags.
As well as over 20 other innovative safety and security features. Dodge says prices for the Nitro will be available at the motroshow.