- 2021 Toyota Kluger pricing and specifications
- Seven-seat SUV offered with hybrid four-cylinder or V6 petrol powertrains
- Advanced safety tech now offered across the range
- Priced from $47,650 plus on-road costs
UPDATE, 2 June 2021: The 2021 Toyota Kluger has arrived in Australia, with Toyota releasing a full gallery of Australian-market images which have been spread throughout this story.
A more comprehensive list of standard inclusions has also been detailed – we've included this at the end of the story.
Our original story continues unchanged below, aside from the aforementioned additions.
Above: Toyota Kluger Grande hybrid.
13 April 2021: Full Australian pricing and specifications for the all-new 2021 Toyota Kluger have been released, with the entry-level variant now starting from $47,650 plus on-road costs – up $2800 over the outgoing model.
A hybrid powertrain option also joins the range for the first time, as does a spate of new safety tech.
Toyota offers the Kluger in three trim levels: the entry-level GX, mid-range GXL and flagship Grande. All grades are offered in front-wheel or all-wheel drive when paired with the V6 petrol engine.
Underpinned by the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), the new seven-seat SUV features a 60mm longer wheelbase and larger cabin than the outgoing variant.
Above: Toyota Kluger GX petrol.
The hybrid system pairs a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with three electric motors, allowing for a combined output of 184kW.
This unit sends drive to the ground via an electronic continuously-variable transmission, capable of distributing 100 per cent of power to the front wheels or up to 80 per cent of power to the rear wheels depending on conditions.
The eCVT offers four modes: Eco, Normal, Trail, and Sport.
Toyota claims a combined fuel consumption figure of 5.6 litres per 100 kilometres, with combined CO2 emissions of 128g/km.
A new 3.5-litre petrol V6 engine is also on offer, sending 218kW/350Nm to the ground via a traditional eight-speed torque-converter automatic transmission.
Despite being the more powerful option, the V6 petrol engine is priced slightly below the hybrid.
Toyota claims a fuel consumption figure of 8.7 litres per 100 kilometres for the two-wheel-drive V6 variant, and 8.8 litres per 100 kilometres for the all-wheel-drive V6 variant.
Braking comes via 340mm ventilated disc brakes at the front, and 338mm ventilated disc brakes at the rear.
Traffic-sign recognition and emergency steering assist both come standard for the first time.
These features join autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection and support for intersections, adaptive cruise control, lane-centring assist, auto high beam, blind-spot monitoring, and rear-cross traffic alert in the active safety department.
Infotainment comes via an 8.0-inch centre touchscreen display, incorporating Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto.
Interestingly, US- and European-market models are available with a 12.3-inch infotainment screen, but this larger unit seemingly hasn't made its way to right-hand-drive production, with UK-delivered models also sharing Australia's smaller touchscreen.
Standard equipment on all Australian models includes keyless entry and start, dual-zone air conditioning, rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights, and five USB ports.
Meanwhile, mid-range GXL models adopt power-adjustable heated front seats, tri-zone climate control, synthetic leather upholstery, a power tailgate and satellite navigation.
The top-of-the-range Grande trim adds a panoramic sunroof, ventilated seats, a head-up display, 360-degree camera, and a premium 11-speaker JBL sound system.
The 2021 Toyota Kluger will go on sale in Australia in June, with all models offering a five-year/unlimited kilometre warranty.
2021 Toyota Kluger Australian pricing
- Kluger GX 2WD petrol – $47,650
- Kluger GXL 2WD petrol – $56,850
- Kluger Grande 2WD petrol – $68,900
- Kluger GX AWD petrol – $51,650
- Kluger GXL AWD petrol – $60,850
- Kluger Grande AWD petrol – $72,900
- Kluger GX AWD hybrid – $54,150
- Kluger GXL AWD hybrid – $63,350
- Kluger Grande AWD hybrid – $75,400
Note: All prices exclude on-road costs.
2021 Toyota Kluger GX standard features
- Choice of 3.5-litre petrol V6 or 2.5-litre hybrid powertrains
- LED headlights, tail-lights and daytime-running lights
- Front fog lights
- Power-folding heated side mirrors
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Rear privacy glass
- Fabric seat trim
- Leather-accented multifunction steering wheel (with tilt and telescopic adjustment) and gear selector
- 2.0-inch driver info display
- 8.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, digital radio, reversing camera and voice recognition
- Six-speaker sound system
- Manual air conditioning (V6 petrol) or tri-zone climate control (hybrid)
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start
- Electric parking brake
- Automatic headlights and wipers
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection, and intersection support
- Adaptive cruise control with curve speed reduction
- Lane trace assist with lane-centring and lane-departure alert
- Road sign recognition
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Auto high beams
- Seven airbags (dual front, front side, curtain, driver's knee)
Above: Toyota Kluger GX. Below: Toyota Kluger GXL.
2021 Toyota Kluger GXL adds (over GX)
- 7.0-inch digital instrument display
- Satellite navigation
- Tri-zone climate control (with both engines)
- Power-adjustable front seats with heating and power driver lumbar support
- Synthetic leather seat and door trim
- Guide lines for the reversing camera
- Roof rails
- Power tailgate
2021 Toyota Kluger Grande adds (over GXL)
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Projector LED headlights
- Leather-accented seats with front-seat ventilation
- Memory power driver's seat
- Panoramic sunroof
- Head-up display
- 360-degree camera
- 11-speaker JBL sound system
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Memory power-folding exterior mirrors
- Rear window sunshades and ambient lighting
- Electrochromatic rear-view mirror
- 'Premium' soft-touch dashboard
- Torque vectoring all-wheel drive system (petrol AWD only)