- 2021 Mazda CX-3 price and specs detailed
- Light SUV gains new technology, updated features
- Two new variants added for 2021
- 110kW 2.0-litre petrol engine carries over
The 2021 Mazda CX-3 has been treated to a number of updates for the new year.
Headlining Mazda's upgrades is the addition of the two new variants, Maxx Sport LE and the 100th Anniversary Special Edition.
A permanent member of the CX-3 range, the new Maxx Sport LE (pictured in red) slots in between the existing Maxx Sport and sTouring grades, available solely in front-wheel-drive, six-speed automatic form, priced from $27,640 before on-road costs.
Equipment additions over the lesser Maxx Sport comprise tan-coloured artificial suede and Pure White leatherette combination upholstery, black trim piping, unique 16-inch alloy wheels and a gloss black finish for the grille and side mirrors.
Above: CX-3 Maxx Sport LE interior, pictured in Japanese-spec guise.
Also new for 2021 is the 100th Anniversary Special Edition, introduced across Mazda's line-up to celebrate the brand's 100th anniversary, and limited to just 70 units for the CX-3 in Australia.
Differentiating the limited-run model from the core range is Snowflake White Pearl Mica paint and Burgundy leather upholstery – the aforementioned two paying tribute to Mazda's first passenger car, the R360 – plus 100th Anniversary logos embossed into the front seat headrests, and unique badging for the front quarter-panels, wheel centre caps, key fob and interior floor mats.
Alongside the addition of the new variants, the existing Mazda CX-3 range has benefitted from a number of improvements for 2021.
A new seat design – shared with the Mazda 3 hatch and CX-30 SUV – with a redesigned internal structure intended to reduce fatigue has been introduced across the range, as has standard-fit Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone mirroring, and restyled key fobs and badging, the latter pair bringing the CX-3 in line with Mazda's latest models.
The autonomous emergency braking system gains night-time pedestrian detection for the new year, while the automatic headlights have been tweaked to be more sensitive to "changing lights conditions".
Above: 2020 Mazda CX-3 Akari
Maxx Sport and Maxx Sport LE variants gain the auto-dimming functionality for the rear-view mirror previously restricted to higher grades, while the mid-spec sTouring picks up automatic high-beams and lane-departure warning.
Polymetal Grey Metallic has also been added to the entire range's exterior colour palette.
All variants continue to be powered by a 2.0-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine, developing 110kW of power and 195Nm of torque. It's sent to either the front or all wheels through a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, depending on variant.
Front-wheel-drive automatic models are the most fuel efficient, consuming 6.3L/100km on the combined cycle.
A full list of the standard equipment offered by each variant can be found at the bottom of this story.
The updated 2021 Mazda CX-3 will go on sale in Australia in mid-January.
2021 Mazda CX-3 Australian pricing
- CX-3 Neo Sport FWD manual – $22,890
- CX-3 Neo Sport FWD auto – $24,890
- CX-3 Maxx Sport FWD manual – $24,890
- CX-3 Maxx Sport FWD auto – $26,890
- CX-3 Maxx Sport LE FWD auto – $27,640
- CX-3 Maxx Sport AWD auto – $28,890
- CX-3 sTouring FWD manual – $29,090
- CX-3 sTouring FWD auto – $31,090
- CX-3 sTouring AWD auto – $33,090
- CX-3 Akari FWD manual – $34,190
- CX-3 Akari FWD auto – $36,190
- CX-3 Akari AWD auto – $38,190
- CX-3 Akari LE FWD auto – $36,690
- CX-3 Akari LE AWD auto – $38,690
- CX-3 100th Anniversary Special Edition FWD auto – $37,690
Note: All prices exclude on-road costs.
Mazda CX-3 Neo Sport equipment highlights
- 16-inch steel wheels with 215/60 tyres
- Halogen headlights
- Body coloured, power-folding, power-adjustable door mirrors
- Six airbags
- Manual air conditioning
- Manually-adjustable front seats
- Black cloth upholstery
- 60/40 split-folding rear seats
- Electric parking brake with auto hold function
- 7.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Bluetooth
- Six-speaker audio system with AM/FM radio and DAB+ digital radio
- Internet radio integration
- Push-button start
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Autonomous emergency braking with night-time pedestrian detection
Above: Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport LE
Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport additions (over Neo Sport)
- Unique 16-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic headlights
- Dual-speed, rain-sensing wipers
- Fold-down rear centre armrest
- Leather-wrapped gear selector and steering wheel
- Overhead sunglass storage slot
- Climate control air conditioning
- Satellite navigation
- Rear-view mirror with auto-dimming function
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
Mazda CX-3 Maxx Sport LE additions (over Maxx Sport)
- Tan suede-like material and Pure White leatherette trim
- Unique 16-inch alloy wheels
- Gloss black side mirrors and grille
Mazda CX-3 sTouring additions (over Maxx Sport, non-LE)
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 215/50 tyres
- Body-coloured, power-adjustable and power-folding side mirrors with heating functionality
- LED daytime-running lights
- LED front fog lamps
- LED headlights
- LED tail-lights
- Black leatherette/cloth combination upholstery
- Head-up display
- 'Advanced' keyless entry
- Driver attention alert
- Front parking sensors
- Automatic high-beams
- Traffic-sign recognition
- Lane-departure warning
Above: 2020 Mazda CX-3 Akari
Mazda CX-3 Akari additions (over sTouring)
- Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
- Driver’s seat with dual-position memory function and 10-way power adjustment
- Front seat heating
- Black or Pure White leather trim
- Adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality
- 360-degree camera
- Adaptive LED headlights
Mazda CX-3 Akari LE additions (over Akari)
- 'Bright-finished' alloy wheels
- Dark Russet nappa leather trim
- Dark Russet centre console, centre and door armrests with white contrast stitching
- Pure White air vent surrounds
- Pure White door and dashboard trim inserts
Mazda CX-3 100th Anniversary Special Edition additions (over Akari LE)
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica exterior paint
- Burgundy leather upholstery with embossed headrests
- 100th Anniversary badging for front quarters, wheel centre caps, key fobs and interior floor mats