Ford of Europe is believed to be developing a new mid- to large-sized crossover to go head-to-head with the likes of the Subaru Outback and Volkswagen Passat Alltrack – according to coverage out of the UK.
The new model is said to be an "estate-style crossover" like the aforementioned Subaru and Volkswagen models, and also looks set to be introduced to North America, too.
That's in line with a report by industry journal Automotive News last July, which said the US-market Ford Fusion – based on the same platform as the Euro-market Mondeo – would be replaced by a crossover wagon shortly after the turn of the decade.
It's believed the new crossover will be underpinned by Ford's 'super flexible' C2 architecture, which already serves the basis of the new Focus small car and is anticipated to accommodate everything from the next-generation Fiesta to the next Edge (Endura) SUV.
A range of petrol and diesel engines are likely to be offered, including the option of 48V mild-hybrid technology.
Autocar reports it's unclear whether the crossover will be offered with all-wheel drive, though we'd wager it should be available given the new Kuga is available with all-wheel drive.
When this model launches, Ford will have discontinued four MPV model lines – the aforementioned C-Max and Grand C-Max, along with the B-Max, Galaxy and S-Max.
It's also yet to be seen whether the Mondeo nameplate will survive the conceptual change from medium hatch/sedan/wagon to mid-sized crossover, bringing the death toll to five model lines.
As for Australia, the company's local division has gone on record saying the Mondeo will be in production for the "foreseeable future", though slowing sales could be digging the model an early grave.
Last month Ford Australia registered just 51 units (down 68.1 per cent) with the year-to-date tally sitting at 458 registrations to June 30 (down 57.5 per cent).
Stay tuned to CarAdvice for all the latest.