Based on the recently launched Audi A5 and S5 coupes, the soft-top variants carry a premium of more than $13,000 compared to their hardtop equivalents, but also gain additional specification, as well as that fully automatic roof.
Operating what Audi calls the K-Fold roof, takes 15 seconds to open and 18 to close. The operation can take place from standstill at speeds of up to 50km/h. Although the vehicle is 25kg lighter and offers 40 per cent more torsional rigidity than its predecessor that debuted seven years ago, it still comes in more than 200kg heavier when compared to the coupe.
Adapting the latest in Virtual Cockpit technology and Audi's infotainment systems, the cabriolet models are also equipped with an interesting feature that sees the placement of three separate microphones integrated into the seatbelt for better Bluetooth telephony and voice activation technologies, allowing for easier conversation, even with the roof down.
The cabriolet range starts with the front-wheel drive 2.0-litre TFSI (with these models not yet having adopted Audi's recent model designation terminology), that delivers 140kW of power and 320Nm of torque. The previous-generations CVT is gone and in its place is the well-known Audi seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.
Fuel economy is rated at 5.9L/100km with a 0-100km/h time of 7.9 seconds, thanks to the standard dual-clutch transmission. There is no manual variant on offer.
Step into the $95,000 2.0-litre turbocharged quattro model and power jumps to 180kW with torque increased to 370Nm. The quattro model cuts the 0-100km/h time down to just 6.3 seconds but uses more fuel at 6.7L/100km. Even so, both cars manage to attract the maximum luxury car tax advantage, due to their low fuel usage.
The top-spec Audi S5 cabriolet comes with a 3.0-litre TFSI engine that delivers 260kW of powwer and 500Nm of torque. It has a claimed 0-100km/h time of 5.1 seconds but uses 7.9L of fuel per 100km.
All models are equipped with blind-spot monitoring, tyre pressure indicator, cross-traffic assist, exit warning, speed limiter, Audi parking system with front and rear sensors and rear-view camera, and autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection.
Audi A5 TFSI standard equipment
- 18-inch alloys
- LED headlights and tail-lights,
- MMI navigation with 8.3-inch screen, 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit screen
- Audi connect with Wi-Fi,
- 10-speaker, 180-watt sound system
- Leather and electric front seats with heating and neck-level heating
- Ambient interior lighting
- Smart key with gesture control for the boot
- Three-zone climate control
- Wind blocker
Audi A5 TFSI quattro equipment in addition to above
- 19-inch alloy wheels
- Auto-dimming exterior mirrors with memory
- Memory driver's seat
- Flat-bottom steering wheel
- Colour ambient lighting
Options for the two A5 models include the S-line style package ($3900-$2500), S-line sports package ($7,400-$5900), Technik package ($5600), and Assistance package ($2470).
Audi S5 equipement in addition to 2.0-litre quattro
- Unique 19-inch alloys
- Adaptive dampers
- Red brake calipers
- Illuminated door sill trims
- S sport front seats in fine Nappa leather with diamond-pattern stitching
- Pneumatic side bolster adjustment and lumbar support with massage
- Heated front and rear seats (no neck heating)
- Extended upholstery package
- Carbon inlays
- Adaptive cruise control with stop and go
- Traffic jam and collision avoidance assist
- Park, turn and high beam assist
- 360-degree camera
A5 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI S tronic 140kW – $83,400
A5 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic 185kW – $95,000
S5 Cabriolet 3.0 TFSI quattro tiptronic 260kW – $119,111