The upgraded BMW 2 Series LCI coupe and convertible family will lob in Australia during September bringing some design and tech upgrades. But in exchange, prices have also been upped across the range.
The BMW 2 Series LCI announcement comes shortly after the company detailed the related, upgraded 1 Series hatch family - headlined by price hikes at the low end but also inclusive of a circa $5000 cut to the M140i that doesn't carry over to the M240i.
Externally, the pricier MY18 2 Series coupe and convertible get LED headlights standard: in a bi-circular design for 220i and 230i variants, and hexagonal-shaped Adaptive LEDs for the M240i M Performance models.
The LED lighting theme continues with one-piece LED tail lights shaped in an ‘L’ formation, while four new alloy wheel options are offered - including a new 17-inch standard for 220i Luxury Line, and three alternative 18-inch M alloys for M Sport-equipped vehicles (all are available on the M240i at no cost).
Ten exterior colours (including eight metallic) are now on offer, with Sunset Orange metallic, Seaside Blue metallic (220i, 230i Luxury Line) and Mediterranean Blue metallic (220i, 230i Luxury Line) joining the range.
Inside the cabin there's the adoption of BMW's iDrive 6 infotainment, as debuted in the new BMW 5 Series earlier in 2017. Opt for BMW’s Navigation system Professional (standard on 230i and M240i), and the large 8.8- inch screen features touchscreen capability.
New design stitching features throughout the updated cabin, highlighted by Pearl Chrome trim finishers, chrome window button elements and a centre console in high-gloss black.
Engines are familiar: the 220i has a 135kW/270Nm 2.0-litre turbo-petrol, the 230i gets an uprated 2.0 with 185kW/350Nm, and the M240i range gets a 3.0-litre TwinPower turbo inline-six with 250kW/500Nm, and a 0-100km/h time of 4.6 seconds.
All are rear-wheel drive and have a standard ZF eight-speed automatic transmission, though BMW lets you buy a six-speed manual on special order, at the same price.
BMW has sold 1125 2 Series coupes and convertibles this year - more than the way cheaper Toyota 86 has managed.
Standard specification highlights:
- Luxury Line
- 17-inch light-alloy wheels
- LED Headlights
- LED Fog Lights
- Driving Assistant
- DAB+ Digital radio capability
- Interior and exterior mirrors with anti-dazzle function
- Eight-speed sport automatic transmission
- Navigation System Business with iDrive 6 functionality
- Automatic climate control
- DAB+ radio capability
- Rear view camera
- Speed Limit Info
- Sport leather steering wheel
- Sports seats for driver and front passenger, finished in Dakota leather upholstery
- Front and rear park distance control
- Extended smartphone connectivity
- Extended instrument cluster contents
- BMW ConnectedDrive suite with ConnectedDrive services, remote services, Teleservices, emergency e-call and Real-Time Traffic Information
BMW 230i (in addition to 220i)
- M Sport Package with M Sport suspension
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels in Ferric Grey
- M Aerodynamics Package
- M Sport brakes
- High-gloss Shadow line exterior trim
- BMW Individual anthracite roofliner
- M leather steering wheel
- Cloth/Alcantara upholstery (Coupe)
- Dakota Leather Upholstery (Convertible)
- Navigation System Professional with iDrive6 functionality and 8.8-inch touchscreen
- Electric seat adjustment
- Comfort Access
- Variable Sport Steering
- Seat Heating (Convertible)
BMW M240i (in addition to 230i)
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels in Bicolour Jet Black
- 12-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system
- Adaptive M Suspension
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Dakota leather upholstery
- Seat Heating
BMW 2 Series LCI pricing:
220i coupe - $52,900 (up $1600)
230i coupe - $63,000 (up $1100)
M240i coupe - $76,800 (up $2190)
220i convertible - $59,900 (up $1600)
230i convertible - $73,000 (up $1100)
M240i convertible - $85,800 (up $2190)
Innovations package (BMW 220i)
Upgraded Navigation System Professional, a seven-speaker HiFi Loudspeaker System and additional Concierge Services for the in-built ConnectedDrive service - $1,700.
Comfort Package (BMW 220i)
Comfort Access, electric seat adjustment with memory function, and both lumbar support and seat heating for the driver and front passenger - $2400.
Driver’s Assistance Package (BMW 220i and 230i)
High-Beam Assist, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function and Parking Assistant - $1350, or $1200 when ordered in conjunction with Adaptive LED headlights.
MORE: Everything BMW