Audi's all-new Audi A5 and S5 Sportback models have just landed in Australia with a starting price of under $70,000 (before on-road costs).
The four model range includes one four-cylinder diesel, one four-cylinder petrol and a six-cylinder petrol engine.
Kicking off from $69,900 (plus on-road costs) for the A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI S-tronic, it's powered by a four-cylinder 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine that produces 140kW of power and 320Nm of torque, consuming just 5.6L/100km.
The first all-wheel drive quattro model is the A5 Sportback 2.0TDI S-tronic quattro, which starts from $73,900 (plus on-road costs) and uses a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that produces 140kW of power and 400Nm of torque, sipping only 4.8L/100km.
Rounding off the four-cylinder range is the $81,500 (plus on-road costs) A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI S-tronic quattro, which uses a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that produces 185kW of power and 370Nm of torque, consuming 6.5L/100km.
The performance pinnacle in the A5 Sportback range is the S5 Sportback. Pumping out 260kW of power and 500Nm of torque (up 15kW and 60Nm over the predecessor), the 3.0-litre turbocharged V6 is priced from $105,800 (plus on-road costs) and churns through 7.7L/100km on the combined cycle.
Performance times are an important benchmark for cars in this segment and Audi boasts a 0-100km/h dash of 7.5-seconds for the entry-level 2.0TFSI S-tronic, 6.0 seconds for the 2.0TFSI S-tronic quattro and 4.7 seconds for the S5.
Much the same as the A5 coupe, standard equipment is extensive, including Audi’s Virtual Cockpit 12.3-inch driver information/media/nav/trip unit fitted in all models at no cost, while the 8.3-inch dash-top infotainment screen with MMI Touch rotary dial controller features plenty of goodies like Google Maps display, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, dual USB ports, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and Audi Connect mobile internet capabilities.
Standard safety kit on the A5 Sportback range is extensive, and includes a rear-view camera, parking sensors all around, city autonomous emergency braking, driver drowsiness monitoring, tyre pressure monitoring, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert.
There’s also an exit warning system that will alert you by using the ambient lighting in the door if there’s a car/motorbike/cyclist coming up beside you, and six airbags (dual front, front side, full-length curtains). It has received the maximum five-star ANCAP safety rating, too.
Audi is offering a range of options packs for buyers to choose, as well, including:
- S line Style package, with exterior bumper and sill extensions, 19-inch alloys (on the two lower-spec cars), illuminated door sills, tinted rear glass – $3900 for base models, $2500 for quattro petrol
- S line Sport package, includes Style package and adds Nappa leather trim, black headlining, stainless steel pedals, S line flat-bottom steering wheel, brushed aluminium inlays – $7400 for base models, $5900 for quattro petrol
- Technik package, with head-up display, Matrix LED headlights, Bang & Olufsen sound system – $5600
- Assistance package, with adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist, active lane keeping, high-speed AEB, turn assist (will prevent you from turning in front of oncoming traffic), distance warning, predictive efficiency assistance (monitors GPS data and adjusts engine for hills, corners), and high-beam assist – $2470
- Parking Assistance package, with 360 degree camera and park assist — $1255
The S5 Sportback turns it up a notch by including the Assistance Package Tour, Parking Assistance Package, S Line Style Package and S Line Sport Package as standard.
Specification highlights by model:
2.0TFSI / 2.0TDI
18-inch alloy wheels
LED headlights with LED daytime running lights
10-speaker stereo system
Leather seat trim
Electric front seat adjustment with lumbar
Ambient interior lighting
Three-zone climate control
Heated exterior mirrors
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
2.0TFSI quattro (adds)
Auto dimming side mirrors
Driver’s seat memory settings
Flat-bottom steering wheel
Colour ambient lighting
Assistance Package Tour
Parking Assistance Package
S Line Style Package
S Line Sport Package
2017 Audi A5 and S5 Sportback pricing, plus on-road costs
2.0TFSI – $69,900
2.0TDI – $73,900
2.0TFSI quattro – $81,500
S5 - $105,800
Click on the Photos tab to see the full 2017 Audi A5 and S5 Sportback image gallery.
MORE: Everything Audi