This time around, BMW Australia has gone for a higher-specification line-up, adding more standard kit while bringing price increases with it.
The new 2017 range includes the BMW 520d from $93,900, BMW 530i from $108,900, BMW 530d from $119,900 and the BMW 540i from $136,900, all excluding on-road costs and dealer delivery.
The BMW 520d is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine producing 140kW and 400Nm. Its claimed fuel economy figure is 4.3L/100km, with a claimed 0-100km/h time of 7.5 seconds.
The BMW 530i make use of a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with 185kW and 350Nm. It can accelerate from zero to 100km/h in 6.2 seconds, BMW says, and sip 5.8 litres of petrol per 100 kilometres.
The BMW 530d presents the most torque in the range from its 3.0-litre six-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine pumping out a massive 620Nm as well as a very healthy 195kW. BMW claims a 0-100km/h time of 5.7 seconds and a fuel economy figure of 4.7L/100km on the combined cycle.
The range topper for now, the BMW 540i, uses the familiar engine from the 340i, which is a 3.0-litre six-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with 250kW and 450Nm.
BMW claims it will go from zero to 100km/h in 5.1 seconds, and lists fuel figures of 6.7L/100km.
BMW 520d standard equipment highlights
- Luxury Line with Chrome Line exterior (optional M Sport Package)
- LED Headlights
- 18-inch BMW light alloy wheels
- Comfort Access
- Dakota leather upholstery with Sensatec instrument panel
- Electric seat adjustment for driver and front passenger
- Electrically-adjustable steering column
- Navigation system Professional with 10.25-inch Touch Control Display
- Wireless smartphone charging
- HiFi Loudspeaker system with 12 speakers and DAB+ digital radio
- BMW Head-Up display
- Driving Assistant Plus, including Active Cruise with Stop & Go function, front Cross traffic warning, crossroads warning and Lane Keeping Assistant
- Parking Assistant Plus, including Parking Assistant with Active Park Distance Control to front and rear, Surround View and Panorama View
- Speed limiter and Speed limit info
- Airbags including front, full-length sides and head protection integrated in sides and headliner
- BMW ConnectedDrive with access to BMW Online and BMW Apps for seamless third-party app integration (for example, Spotify). Also includes real-time traffic information, intelligent emergency call, TeleServices, Concierge Services and phone app-based Remote Services
BMW 530i and 530d standard equipment highlights (in addition to 520d)
- M Sport Package with M Aerodynamics Package and BMW Individual Aluminium satinated Exterior Line
- M Sport Brakes
- 19-inch BMW M light alloy wheels
- Automatic tailgate operation
- Adaptive LED headlights including BMW Selective Beam and High Beam Assist
- Dynamic Damper Control
- Multi-functional 10.25-inch high-resolution colour display with black-panel technology
- 16-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system
- Sports seats with seat heating and lumbar support for driver and front passenger
- BMW Individual anthracite roof liner
- M leather steering wheel
BMW 540i standard equipment highlights (in addition to 530i)
- Adaptive Drive with active anti-roll bars
- 20-inch BMW Individual light-alloy wheels
- Electric glass sunroof
- Metallic paintwork
- Electric rear window sunblind
- Rear-side window sunblinds
- Exclusive Nappa leather upholstery
- Comfort seats with memory function for driver and front passenger
- Active seat ventilation for driver and front passenger
- Ambient Air
The new 5 Series makes its Australian debut in March next year. Read the 2017 BMW 5 Series Review.
UPDATE: 540i features list was originally shown as being the same as 530i list. This error has now been corrected.