The range opens with the E200, powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine producing 135kW of power and 300Nm of torque, with fuel figures listed at 6.4L/100km on the combined cycle. Priced from $89,900, it represents the entry to the E-Class range.
Next cab off the rank is the E220d, which uses a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder diesel engine that produces 143kW of power and 400Nm of torque, consuming just 4.1L/100km. Pricing starts from $92,900.
Starting at $107,900, the E300 model is driven by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine that pumps out 180kW of power and 370Nm of torque, with fuel consumption yet to be officially determined for Australia.
The only six-cylinder diesel option is the E350d, which uses a 3.0-litre turbocharged six-cylinder diesel engine that produces 190kW of power and 620Nm of torque, sipping just 5.6L/100km, priced from $134,900 (plus on-road costs).
Finally, the E400 rounds off the local offering with a starting price of $139,900 (plus on-road costs), powered by a 3.0-litre turbocharged six-cylinder petrol engine that produces 245kW of power and 480Nm of torque, with the local fuel consumption figure yet to be confirmed. It also picks up Mercedes-Benz's 4MATIC all-wheel drive system.
The E200, E220d and E350d are available immediately, while the E350d and E400 will join the range later in the year.
The hero Mercedes-AMG E63 is still to be revealed, but the recently unveiled 295kW E43 – a new entry-level model in the AMG stable for the E-Class range and also equipped with 4MATIC – will debut in Australia next year. The special new 205kW/600Nm E350e plug-in hybrid is also on the way, due here sometime in 2017.
The new E-Class range is comprehensively equipped for the Australian market. Both the E200 and E220d come standard with:
- ARTICO man-made seating
- The COMAND infotainment system with dual 12.3-inch screens including Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and DAB+ digital radio
- Automatically dimming rear vision mirror
- 40:20:40 folding rear seats
- Electric seats with memory function
- Nappa leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Dual-zone climate control with dust filter
- Rain sensing windscreen wipers and automatic headlights
- 18-inch five-spoke alloy wheels
- Air Control — variable rate damping system (includes 15mm ride height reduction)
- Keyless entry and start
- LED headlights with LED daytime running lights
- Electric mirrors with automatic folding function
- Nine airbags
- Tyre pressure monitoring
The en-route E300 steps it up further, adding the following items in addition to the E200 and E220d:
- Heated front seats
- Leather upholstery
- 20-inch AMG 14-spoke alloy wheels
- Air suspension
- Multibeam adaptive LED headlights
The E350 and incoming E400 models cap things off, including the following items as standard:
- Burmester 590 Watt 13-speaker sound system
- Heads up display
- Metallic paintwork
- Panoramic glass roof with roller sunblind and head insulating glass
Buyers can also opt for a number of option packages, including (all plus on-road costs):
- Vision package ($4990)
- Features a panoramic glass roof with sunblind, head up display and 590 Watt, 13-speaker Bermester sound system)
- Active comfort package ($6900)
- Features Air-Balance package that includes ionisation, improved air filtering and fragrancing, heated and cooled front seats, comfort head restraints, three-zone climate control, heated outer rear seats and heated front armrest
- Launch edition ($1880)
- Features 19-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels, illuminated door sills, tinted privacy glass and leather upholstery
- AMG line ($6300 for E200 and E220d, $3500 for E300, E350d and E400)
- Features 20-inch 14-spoke alloy wheels, AMG body styling, AMG sports pedals, AMG floor mats, air suspension, tinted privacy glass, gearshift paddles, illuminated door sills, perforated front brake rotors, sports seats in Nappa leather and sports steering wheel
- Exclusive line ($1900)
- Features 18-inch 5-twin-spoke alloy wheels, Nappa leather, air suspension, brown high-gloss wood trim, fabric roof liner, front bumper with chrome trim elements and Mercedes-Benz star hood ornament
2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class pricing (before on-road costs):
E200 - $89,990
E220d - $92,900
E300 - $107,900 (due late 2016)
E350d - $134,900
E400 - $139,900 (due late 2016)