The Citroen C4 Cactus crossover will kick off from $26,990 plus on-road costs when it finally arrives in Australia.
The unorthodox French soft-roader is at last slated to arrive in February next year after a delayed launch, brought about by the company having to change the rear child-seat top-tether to meet local homologation requirements.
The starting price — relatively sharp considering the level of equipment on offer — is for the 81kW/205Nm 1.2-litre turbo-petrol version with a six-speed manual gearbox.
Buyers wanting an automatic, however, have an option: a 68kW/230Nm 1.6-litre turbo-diesel with a six-speed semi-automatic self-shifter. This version also comes in at list below $30K, at $29,990.
All variants feature the novel plastic Airbumps on the doors to protect from shopping trolleys, along with a seven-inch touchscreen and wide sofa-style front seats.
You can have an almost endless series of colour combinations and various other permutations — ok, there’s 23,184. You can have different paint colours, airbumps, mirror shells, wheels etcetera, for extra cost. All of these can be pre-ordered before the end of the year.
Citroen Australia has already sold 25 per cent of its initial allocation, with the most popular being finished in aqua and bright yellow. This pair make up almost half of all pre-orders.
The Cactus will also bring with it Citroen’s leading six-year warranty, service and support program.
Citroen Australia general manager John Startari said the levels of specification and unique nature of the Cactus would prove a “compelling package” for people looking to stand apart from the crowd in the booming small SUV market.
“With its standout design, innovative features, generous specification and sharp pricing, the C4 Cactus will bring significant competition to the compact SUV segment,” said Startari.
“In a market full of same-same styling the C4 Cactus gives customers the opportunity to make a statement and it is one we believe will resonate with Australians.
Exclusive petrol standard features:
- 81kW/205Nm 1.2 litre turbo petrol PureTech drivetrain with manual gearbox
- Seven-inch touchscreen with sat-nav
- Reverse camera with rear parking sonar
- DAB+ Digital Radio with 6 Speakers and ARKAMYS Digital Amplifier
- Bluetooth connectivity and USB input
- Automatic lights and wipers
- Climate control air conditioning
- Cruise Control & Speed Limiter
- Cornering fog lights
- 17-inch Bi-tone Cross alloy wheels with 15-inch steel spare tyre
- Tyre pressure monitors
- Electronic assistants (ABS/EBD/EBA/ESC/HSA)
- Six airbags (front driver, roof passenger, front sides & two curtain)
- Bi-tone leather steering wheel with chrome insert & controls
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Electric front windows and pop out (6cm) rear windows
- Electronically adjustable mirrors
- PLIP with central locking
- Seatbelt unfastening warning on all seats
- Piano black roof bars, mirrors, blank rear insert & rear spoiler surround
- Centre console and armrest with storage
- Ventilated disc brakes front and drum brakes rear
- Top box 8.5L storage compartment
- Black Airbump
- 12 volt socket and cup holder in cabin
- Front sun-visors with driver’s courtesy mirror
- 60/40 split rear seats
- Guide-me-home lighting, selective unlocking and auto rear wiper in reverse
- LED Courtesy and Map Lights
Exclusive diesel extras:
- 68kW/230Nm 1.6 litre turbo-diesel drivetrain with six-speed semi-automatic
- “Easy Push” gear selector and paddle shifters on steering wheel
- Aircraft-style manual handbrake
- Bench seat with armrest
A variety of optional equipment will be available across both models including; exterior colour, interior trim, panoramic sunroof, coloured bumps (includes front and rear highlights), roof rails, side mirror caps, C-Pillar highlights and wheels.