The 2013 Kia Sorento has been unveiled at the Paris motor show today ahead of its Australian launch next month.
Although one may mistake the updated Kia Sorento as just a facelift, underneath the skin the SUV's platform and body shell have been majorly reworked. Riding on the new-generation Hyundai-Kia large SUV platform, which is also used by the new Hyundai Santa Fe, the updated Sorento sits 10mm lower, comes with FlexSteer, revised suspension and fuel efficiency and improvements to the interior.
The Sorento range will also gain a new four-cylinder petrol engine (expected early next year) to sit below the 3.5-litre V6 currently on offer. The 2.4-litre GDI, which is used in the Kia Optima, will provide 141kW of power and 242Nm of torque in European-specification vehicles (Australian-spec figures currently unavailable). It will create a new entry point to the updated Kia Sorento range and provide Kia Australia with an opportunity to launch a front-wheel drive version of the vehicle. The updated range will carry over the powerful 145kW/421Nm 2.2-litre turbodiesel and the six-speed automatic gearbox.
From the outside the updated Sorento sports new front and rear bumpers with upright fog lights, which are the easiest way to spot the new model. Other changes include a new front grille and headlamps with LED positioning lights. The rear also gains a new tailgate with revised tail-lights.
The interior has also been reworked with the option for an LG 7.0-inch LCD screen with satellite navigation and audio controls, reduced cabin noise, third-row air conditioning vents, easier cabin access and other minor refinements. Higher spec models can option a new two-part glass panoramic sunroof and leather upholstery.
The cabin floor has been lowered, providing 30mm more legroom for second-row passengers (9mm more for the third row). In Europe the Sorento will be available with radar-based blind spot detection, lane departure warning system and smart parking assist system. These features are currently unconfirmed for Australia.
Kia Australia has specifically tuned the Sorento’s suspension for Australian roads. The updated Kia Sorento will launch in the second week of October and CarAdvice will be there to bring you a full review of Kia’s largest SUV.
Upgraded Kia Sorento Specifications:
Body & Chassis
Five-door, seven seater, mid-size SUV with all-steel unitary construction bodyshell. Choice of transversely mounted gasoline or diesel engines with 2WD (front-wheel drive) or 4WD (four-wheel drive) and six-speed manual or automatic transmission (depending on model and market).
- Type / capacity Theta II GDI, 4-in-line, twin DOHC, dual CVVT and VIS / 2359 cc
- Power / torque 192 ps (141 kW) @ 6300 rpm / 242 Nm (24.7 kg.m) @ 4250 rpm
- Bore x stroke (mm) 88.0 x 97.0
- Compression ratio 11.3
- Type / capacity ‘R’ 2.2 TCI, 4-in-line, twin DOHC, dual CVVT and VGT / 2199 cc
- Power / torque 197 ps (145 kW) @ 3800 rpm / 421 Nm (43.0 kg.m) @ 1800-2500 rpm
- 436 Nm (44.5 kg.m) @ 1800-2500 rpm (automatic)
- Bore x stroke (mm) 85.4 x 96.0
- Compression ratio 16.0
Suspension and damping
- Front: Fully independent by subframe-mounted MacPherson struts, with coil springs and gas-filled HPD shock absorbers and anti-roll bar.
- Rear: Fully independent by subframe-mounted multi-links, with coil springs and gas-filled HPD shock absorbers and anti-roll bar.
- Type MDPS electric power-assisted rack & pinion with FlexSteer™ option
- Gearing 2.95 turns lock-to-lock
- Turning circle 10.9 meters
- Power: Single 10.5-inch Booster
- Front / Rear: 320 x 28 mm ventilated discs / 302 x 11 mm solid discs
- Assistance: ABS anti-lock with EBD and BAS
- 100-to-0 kph: 36.3 / 37.0 metres (cold / warm modes)
- Overall length 4685
- Overall width 1885*
- Overall height 1700 1735 (with roof rails)
- Wheelbase 2700
- Front overhang 945
- Rear overhang 1040
- Front track** 1623-1626
- Rear track** 1618-1621
- Ground clearance 185
- Approach angle 19.4 deg
- Departure angle 22.1 deg
- Ramp over angle 16.6 deg
- Aerodynamics 0.34 Cd
*excluding door mirrors, **depending on wheel/tyre combination
Interior Front 2nd Row 3rd Row
Headroom 996 995 906
Legroom 1048 985 804
Shoulder room 1506 1491 1045
Hip room 1431 1421 1128
Fuel tank (litres) 70.0Luggage (SAE) 258 litres (behind 3rd row) to roof1047 litres (behind 2nd row) to roof
2052 litres (behind front seats) to roof