Taking on the Holden VE Comomdore Omega, Ford has focused its efforts for the new XT Falcon on interior appointments and safety features. The new entry-model into the somewhat crowded family car market now looks different to the rest of the Falcon range - giving it more definition.
The XT Falcon is available with two engine choices, the traditional I6 petrol engine mated to a new five-speed automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift (SSS), or an optional 156kW E-Gas dedicated LPG engine with a four-speed SSS auto.
Maximum power for the I6 engine has increased by 5 kW to 195 kW at 6000 rpm with peak torque up 8 Nm to 391 Nm at 3250 rpm, an advantage of more than 18 per cent compared to the VE Commodore Omega.
Buyers keen to get the best fuel economy can now option out a ZF six-speed automatic transmission used in the XR6 range.
The interior receives its share of goodies with automatic climate control, four-way power driver's seat, four-speaker single CD audio system, a new, larger Interior Command Centre (ICC) LCD screen, cruise control and 60/40 split fold rear seats.
For the first time ever, the XT Falcon will come standard with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) on all petrol models (LPG variants miss out). Driver and front passenger airbags as well as front side head/thorax airbags, and a driver and front passenger Beltminder® system are also included.
The XT also receives Traction Control (TC) and Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA). The XT Falcon will arrive in May with a starting price of $36,490.
- 4.0-litre 195kW / 391Nm DOHC DI-VCT in-line six-cylinder engine
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Optional ZF six-speed automatic transmission
- Virtual Pivot Control Link front suspension
- Forward mounted, Y-shaped steering rack
- Variable ratio steering gear
- Revised Control Blade IRS
- Monotube shock absorbers
- Goodyear Eagle Excellence tyres
- 16-inch steel wheels with wheel covers
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Traction Control (TC)
- Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Self-adjusting park brake
- Remote with flip-style ignition key
- One-touch start
- Chrome radiator grille header bar
- Reinforced Grille Opening Reinforcement (RGOR)
- Black bezel, bright ring headlamps
- Body-coloured exterior mirror scalps
- Chrome rear decklid appliqué
- Driver and front passenger airbags
- Side head/thorax airbags (front-seat mounted)
- Driver and front passenger Beltminder™
- 4-way power driver's seat
- 60/40 split-fold rear seat
- Front power windows
- Rear power windows
- Power mirrors
- Remote central locking
- Automatic headlamps on/off feature
- Automatic climate control
- Outside temperature display
- 5.8-inch ICC display screen – LED-backlit LCD dot matrix mixed mode screen
- 4-speaker 112-watt single CD/MP3 audio system
- Mid range audio adjustment in addition to bass and treble
- 3.5mm auxiliary audio input
- Steering wheel audio controls
- Instrument cluster with automatic illumination
- Multi-function Display (MFD)
- Digital speed display
- Trip computer
- Set-Point cruise control
- One-touch (lane change) indicator
- 'Domain' cloth trim
- 'Metro' cloth insert trim
New features to FG Falcon in bold