810158_7897_holden_commodore

2017 Holden Commodore SV6 review

In March 2018 I made my first semi-big purchase and bought myself a car. The car? A 2017 Holden Commodore SV6. I needed something big and powerful that had a lot of space for me and my kids. Before the purchase of this car I had some trouble in what I wanted at the time. I had a budget of $40,000.

Interior

The Commodore feels very upmarket and very plush for what it is. It’s not far off a BMW, although it features some very cheap plastics around the cabin (but most cars suffer from this). It features some very upmarket features such as heads-up display, keyless entry, leather seats and a self-parking feature which is super cool to watch. Remote start is great on hot days and even better during winter. The seats inside aren’t full leather, but are more a leather and suede combination, which are actually really comfortable.

Performance

Under the hood it features a 3.6-litre V6 putting around 210 kilowatts (282hp) and it provides a 0-100 time of 6.7 seconds, which isn’t too bad. It provides enough grunt to get me and the family going and it sounds pretty good for a V6. It is comfortable over bumps and just simply glides over any imperfections in the road.

Looks

The way it looks? To me it looks sensible and very nice parked at the school car park. Speaking of, my car has received a lot of scratches at that car park but I guess that’s what happens. In black it looks great... when cleaned. The halogen lights are very strong and to be honest I like them, despite them being behind the times.

Fuel

Fuel consumption is around 8 litres per 100 kilometres, and is respectable for car of this size. There’s nothing wrong with it and it’s fine for me.

Technology and Audio

The car features Bluetooth but no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The Bluetooth is really helpful when driving and when I can't get to my phone. It can be a little laggy on phone calls but it isn’t bad. The audio output through the speakers is good when on a call. Music through the speakers is great, even though there’s no Bose or JBL speakers, but it’s crisp, clear and provides good bass.

Navigation on this car is great, although it usually puts me on the longest route and looks a little outdated when displayed as a 3D figure - I changed it to be viewed as a 2D display instead. The radio is okay, and while it doesn’t have DAB+ radio, I think it's fine.

The heads up display is very clear and helpful. It's a little big but it can be adjusted.

I love my car and I think I made a good choice. It’s filled with features you’d find on something that is priced near $60k.

So yes, I’m happy with my choice.

MORE: Commodore news, reviews, comparisons and videos
MORE: Everything Holden