News & ReviewsLast 7 days
  • Engine and gearbox; Practical and spacious; Lack of beeping things
  • Headlights; Infotainment; Plastics
ANCAP RATING N/A

by Gavin Sawyer

I bought my Colorado 7 18 months ago with 9000km on the clock and nine months old. It replaced my bought-new 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara. It is now sitting at 35,000km after two outback road trips. It is pretty much stock except for some decent-quality larger all-terrain tyres and iDrive.

It has been very reliable and hasn’t missed a beat. It is effortless to drive and has plenty of power, overtaking anything including road trains is a breeze. On the open road with three adults, two kids and all associated luggage and fridge it averaged about 8.6L/100km. Daily it averages 11.5L/100km. The family find it very comfortable and it has good oddment storage. I am 6ft 2in and fit relatively comfortably in the third row.

Interior-wise, I don’t like the round single-zone climate control in the LTZ, the LT’s normal AC knobs look better. I like the simple uncluttered look about the dash and simple use of everything. Fit and finish could be better, although I have adjusted some of it myself. I made some soft armrests for the doors from high-density foam and pattern-matching vinyl. I have put some ‘felt’ in the gloveboxes and centre console to reduce the noise of things sliding around.

I started by looking at the Fortuner and Pajero Sport (Everest Ambiente was too expensive and too basic). The Fortuner was too small and the third-row design was a complete deal-breaker. The Pajero Sport was nice in all ways, but the lack of three rows in the entry level (didn’t want leather), no height-adjustable passenger seat, and the way that the third-row seat bases fold up limits luggage capacity.

The MU-X was nice, but the (at the time) five-speed auto and engine didn’t compare against the smoother and more powerful Colorado 7. I think it is underrated, and if you want a simple, relatively low-tech 4WD tourer, I would highly recommend it.

I would love to see easier access to the third row with child seats in place, and a standard rear locking diff.

We love this 4WD, and taking us on two awesome outback road trips, it doesn’t mind corrugations as long as you let the tyre pressure down.

HOLDEN COLORADO 7 BREAKDOWN