- 2021 Lexus LS500 and LS500h range arrives
- Powertrain and suspension improvements for smoother driving
- Upgraded tech including enhanced safety
- Prices rise on the update, starting at $195,953 plus on-road costs
The updated 2021 Lexus LS has arrived in Australia, and with it comes a suite of new technology.
The flagship model in the Lexus range has seen a number of refinements throughout the interior and suspension, as well as the drivetrain in the LS, which has been further developed to reduce noise and improve smoothness.
Prices have risen on the 2021 model, going up by $1817 for the LS500, and $1190 for the LS500h.
Under the bonnet, the 3.5-litre naturally-aspirated V6 in the LS500h (when mated to a hybrid system) delivers 264kW, with improvements to the transmission to compliment the upgraded hybrid-electric system, which offers greater assistance than before.
The 3.5-litre twin-turbocharged V6 found in the LS500 has received redesigned pistons, which are said to reduce noise when the engine is cold. Power remains unchanged at 310kW, but the engine is now lighter thanks to a host of improvements.
On-road manners have also seen advances, with the car's Adaptive Variable Suspension receiving changes to ensure a smoother drive and better steering response.
Inside, a new 12.3-inch widescreen infotainment screen controls the 23-speaker Mark Levinson sound system, while passengers in both the front and rear (outboard) can enjoy power seats with greater comfort and support. Hand-pleated upholstery is available as an option.
Lexus has paid particular attention to the quality of its interior trims, with a number of highly unique options available which showcase Japanese textiles and design.
As expected from the luxury carmaker, technology improvements feature throughout, but the updated limo misses out on the higher level 'Lexus Teammate' semi-autonomous driving tech reported on in August 2020, which is exclusive to Japan.
A new digital rear-view mirror uses a high-mounted camera to display live and unobstructed images from behind the vehicle, while an 'SOS' button above provides a direct line to 'Lexus Connected Services', where an operator can direct emergency services to the vehicle's location.
The vehicle's Lexus Safety System+ has also seen an upgrade, with semi-autonomous braking extended to provide pedestrian and front cross-traffic protection at intersections. Approaching traffic can now also be detected at diagonal angles to the vehicle.
Sports Luxury variants gain 20-inch 'hollow chamber' alloy wheels, which are said to reduce unsprung weight, aiding both ride and handling.
A new paint has been added as an option, named Lustre Shadow.
The 2021 Lexus LS range is available to order now. See below for a full list of features.
2021 Lexus LS Australian pricing
- LS500 F Sport – $195,953
- LS500h F Sport – $195,953
- LS500 Sports Luxury – $201,078
- LS500h Sports Luxury – $201,078
Note: All prices exclude on-road costs.
LS500 and LS500h F Sport and Sports Luxury features:
- Adaptive variable suspension
- Height adjustable multi-link front and rear air suspension
- Clearance and reversing sonar with front cross-traffic alert and rear cross-traffic alert and brake
- LED headlights with bladescan adaptive high-beam system
- LED daytime-running lights (DRLs) with sequential indicators
- Tilt and slide sunroof
- Hands-free power boot lid
- Keyless entry with smart key card
- Soft close doors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Illuminated door handles with front puddle lights
- Auto-retractable, heated and self-dimming exterior mirrors with memory
- Digital rear view mirror
- 3.0-inch multimedia touch-display and Lexus Remote touch-pad controller
- 23-speaker Mark Levinson audio with subwoofer
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility
- DAB+ digital radio
- DVD player, USB (x4) and AUX input
- Satellite navigation
- Colour head-up display
- Lexus Climate Concierge with infrared body temperature sensors
- Heated and ventilated front seats with rear heated outer seats
- 28-way power-operated front seats with memory
- Driver seat with easy access functions
- Heated steering wheel
- Smart start and push button start
- Electric rear sunshade
- Autonomous emergency braking including pedestrian and daylight cyclist detection
- Front lateral side pre-collision system
- Active steering assist
- All-speed adaptive cruise control
- Lane tracing assist with curve speed reduction
- Parking support brake
- Speed sign recognition
- 360-degree camera
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lexus Connected Services including automatic collision notification, SOS emergency call and stolen vehicle tracking
LS500 and LS500h F Sport exclusive features:
- 20-inch dark metallic alloy wheels
- Unique badging, grilles and dark metallic accents
- High performance brake package
- Rear-wheel steering
- Variable gear ratio steering
- Active front and rear stabilisers (LS500 F Sport only)
- Dual zone climate control air conditioning
- Lexus LFA-inspired 8.0-inch digital instrumentation with slide-out meter ring
- Leather-accented seats and ornamentation
- Bolstered front sports seats
- Steering wheel, shift lever, clock and pedals
- 10 airbags
LS500 and LS500h Sports Luxury exclusive features:
- Sports luxury 20-inch hollow chamber alloy wheels
- Quad-zone climate control air conditioning
- 8.0-inch Sports Luxury-specific digital instrumentation
- Semi-aniline leather accented interior
- Choice of unique ornamentations (some at additional cost)
- Front seat relaxation system
- Dual 11.6-inch high definition rear seat entertainment screens with HDMI input
- Power operated outboard rear seats with memory
- Rear seat (passenger side) with full recline function and ottoman
- Rear seat massage system for outboard seats
- Rear armrest with touchscreen climate, audio and massage controls
- Electric rear side sunshades
- Rear cooler box (LS500 only)
- Rear ventilated outer seats
- Front seat easy access seatbelt buckles
- 12 airbags (additional rear seat cushion airbags)