MG Australia has revealed pricing and specifications for its newest small SUV offering, the 2021 MG ZST.
While the Chinese-owned British brand will continue to offer its other small SUV, the related MG ZS, for at least another 12 months, the new MG ZST will look to offer a more premium, tech-focused experience to potential customers.
It will be offered in two trim levels, with the MG ZST Excite starting from $29,490 drive-away, and ZST Essence starting from $32,490 drive-away.
That makes the entry-level MG ZST Excite $2500 more expensive than the top-spec MG ZS Anfield Edition.
Both MG ZST versions will debut a new, 115kW/230Nm 1.3-litre turbocharged three-cylinder engine and a new third-generation Aisin six-speed torque converter automatic transmission.
By comparison, the regular ZS line-up offers 84kW/150Nm 1.5-litre naturally-aspirated four-cylinder and 82kW/160Nm 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol engines.
|2020 MG ZS Excite Auto||$21,990 drive-away|
|2020 MG ZS Excite Plus Auto||$23,990 drive-away|
|2020 MG ZS Essence Auto||$26,490 drive-away|
|2020 MG ZS Anfield Edition Auto||$26,990 drive-away|
|2020 MG ZST Excite Auto||$29,490 drive-away|
|2020 MG ZST Essence Auto||$32,490 drive-away|
|Engine type||1.3-litre turbocharged inline three-cylinder|
|Power||115kW @ 5200-5600rpm|
|Torque||230Nm @ 1800-4400rpm|
|Fuel consumption (combined)||7.1L / 100KM|
Despite both the MG ZS and MG ZST featuring the same platform, the MG ZST has undergone strengthening in order to manage its 40 per cent increase in power. This includes upgrades to various suspension and chassis components.
Headlining specification for both the MG ZST Excite and Essence versions is the standard fitment of advanced driver assist systems.
Branded as 'MG Pilot', these technologies, already included on the larger MG HS, have not been previously seen on a small SUV from the brand. It includes:
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Segment-first Traffic Jam Assist (TJA)
- Intelligent Cruise Assist (ICA)
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Intelligent Headlamp Control (IHC)
- Speed Assistance System (SAS)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
On top of the MG Pilot suite of safety systems, the entry-level Excite model also benefits from:
- 10.1-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay + Android Auto and In-built navigation
- Keyless entry and start
- 360-degree & 3D parking camera
- LED headlights and tail lights
- 17-inch two-tone machined alloy wheels
- Red brake calipers
- Synthetic leather interior trim with contrast stitching.
- Five USB ports
The ZST Essence adds:
- Digital instrument cluster
- Opening panoramic sunroof (claimed to be the largest in its class)
- Front seat heating with an electric driver's seat
- Red embossed 'MG' logo on front seat headrests
- Alternative design 17-inch alloy wheels
Peter Ciao, CEO of MG Motor Australia and New Zealand, said "The all-new ZST offers our Australian customers segment-first value and refinement, with elevated levels of comfort and a list of impressive features usually only available in the premium vehicle segment."
"The MG ZST will have great appeal to savvy buyers seeking the very best in value, style and technology, and will place every owner in the spotlight for their friends, colleagues and families."