Bargain hunters are expected to stampede Holden dealers across Australia as a dealer bulletin obtained by CarAdvice outlines discounts across the entire range of between $7500 and $17,500.
The biggest discounts are on the Holden Colorado ute, ranging from $13,000 to $17,500, slashing the drive-away cost by up to one-third on some models.
Since this story was published earlier today, there has been confusion in the Holden dealer network about whether the discounts are off the current drive-away offer prices, or from the full RRP.
If the discount was applied to the Holden Trax city SUV’s current drive-away price, the savings of $10,000 to $11,000 would bring the $23,990 model to about $13,000 – cheaper than a Hyundai hatchback cost 20 years ago.
However, some Holden dealers claim the discount applies to the full retail price of the car, and so the drive-away offer on this model would be closer to $16,000 to $17,000 drive-away – still a significant saving.
The Holden Acadia seven-seat family SUV is between $11,500 and $17,000 off, between a quarter and one-third off the price of the car.
The cheapest discount is on the Holden Commodore – $7500 off – while the Astra hatch and sedan that were also discontinued last year have a flat rate of $8500 off to about $12,000 drive-away for the base models.
The mid-size Holden Equinox is also a flat rate $10,750 off, or about a third off the price of the base model, bringing it closer to $25,000 drive-away.
Holden dealers have been inundated with enquiries since this article was published earlier today, however there remains confusion about just how low they can go.
The confidential dealer bulletin said discount pricing was not final and subject to change, but has been designed to help showrooms clear stock as quickly as possible.
The bulletin also said the discounts are not due to come into effect until March, approximately two weeks from publishing.
The notice also said it expected most dealers to be clear of stock within the next six months, well before the end of 2020.
Some dealers have told CarAdvice they expect to shut up shop by the end of this financial year, June 30.
The boss of Ford Australia, Kay Hart, told a press conference today that she is sad to the see Holden be shut down in Australia and was surprised by the move: "You certainly don't expect one of your key rivals to go, and it's not something we're happy about. We're proud of our rivalry with Holden and we have kept each other on our toes on and off the track for decades."
MORE ON THE HOLDEN CLOSURE
MORE: Holden axed in Australia
MORE: Holden by the numbers: the highs and lows since 1948
MORE: Holden history: from the beginning to the end
MORE: The man who saved Holden four times in 10 years, but was beaten in the end
MORE: Where did it all go wrong for Holden?
MORE: Holden posts lowest sales since 1954
MORE: Why the Commodore's days were numbered
MORE: Commodore: the final autopsy
MORE: Holden ends manufacturing