Now into its second generation, Volkswagen Australia has launched the 2016 Volkswagen Passat Alltrack locally with one engine and one specification.
Priced from $49,290, the 2016 Passat Alltrack pricing represents an increase of $1000 over the old model, but comes with more kit to increase the value proposition.
The Passat Alltrack launches with one engine, a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel that produces 140kW of power and 400Nm of torque, which is mated to a six-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Fuel consumption has been improved by almost 20 per cent from 6.3L/100km to 5.4L/100km.
Standard safety equipment has also been improved with the addition of the following features:
- Autonomous emergency braking with City Brake support (at speeds of up to 65km/h)
- radar cruise control
- nine airbags (front, rear, side, curtain and driver's knee)
- lane keeping assistant
- blind spot monitoring
- multi-collision assist (will brake the car after an impact to prevent a subsequent further impact)
- driver fatigue detection system
Telling the Passat Alltrack from a regular Passat is easy thanks to flared wheel arches with plastic guards, brushed aluminium-look wing mirrors, 4Motion and Alltrack badges, brushed aluminium-look roof rails and a raised ride height.
Other standard features include:
- Front and rear parking sensors
- multi-angle reverse-view camera
- keyless entry and start
- power rear tailgate
- underbody and engine protection
- 18 inch Kalamata alloy wheels
- full size spare alloy wheel
- tri-zone automatic climate control with pollen filter
- automatic headlights and windscreen wipers
- Discover Pro audio and satellite navigation with eight inch colour touchscreen and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- eight speakers with USB, auxiliary and Bluetooth connectivity
- heated front seats and 40/20/20 split-folding rear seats
- leather interior
An optional luxury package is available for an additional $3500 and includes:
- LED headlights with dynamic bending beams
- panoramic glass sunroof with motorised retractable shade
- LED interior ambient lighting
- electrically folding wing mirrors
- semi-automatic parking assistant
The Passat Alltrack features an additional 27.5mm of ground clearance in comparison to the regular Passat and comes with the addition of an off-road driving mode that adjusts throttle response characteristics and driver safety aid intervention.
The 4Motion all-wheel drive system uses an electronically-controlled multi-plate clutch that primarily drives the front axle and then sends torque to the rear as required.
Unique to the Passat Alltrack in the Volkswagen range is the use of Continental ContiSeal Mobility tyres that use a viscous interstitial layer to prevent up to 85 per cent of punture-caused flat tyres.
With a 679-litre cargo capacity, the Passat Alltrack comes in eight colours — including the Alltrack-only Habanero Orange Metallic. The Passat Alltrack goes on sale nationally from this week.