Full details on the new limited-edition 2016 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo Sprint and XR8 Turbo Sprint sedan models have been revealed this morning, just hours after first leaking onto the internet.
As confirmed yesterday afternoon, the returned Sprint badge brings more power and some sharp price hikes for both variants, along with upgraded brakes and a subtle graphics package.
The XR6 Turbo Sprint will be offered at $54,990 plus on-road costs, marking a $9800 premium over its regular counterpart, while a $59,990 plus on-roads cost for the XR8 Sprint represents a $6500 increase.
Just 1400 of the limited-edition Sprint models will be built: 550 of the XR6 model and 850 of the XR8, with 150 of those (50 XR6, 100 XR8) going to New Zealand. Numbered build plates will, of course, also feature.
On the power front, both models have had outputs dialled up, with the six-cylinder model now tapping its V8 mate on the back — and the XR8 wisely staying off the 351kW limited-edition FPV GT-F 351’s lawn.
For the turbocharged 4.0-litre XR6 Turbo Sprint, power is now up a huge 55kW and 43Nm to a new 325kW at 6000rpm, and torque peaks at 576Nm at 2750rpm. With the 10-second short-burst Overboost function in play, that climbs to 370kW and 650Nm.
Above: XR6 Sprint rear revealed, added to article on February 18
Tricks at work in the XR6 Turbo Sprint include pilfering the FPV F6’s turbo and injectors, but there’s also a larger intercooler, a lower-positioned airbox, enlarged air intake design, and a unique calibration to the engine and six-speed automatic transmission (no manual with this one).
In the reborn XR8, its supercharged 5.0-litre V8 is up from 335kW/570Nm to a new 345kW at 5750rpm and 575Nm between 2200-6250rpm. Overboost pushes that to 400kW and 650Nm. The XR8 Sprint can be had in both manual and automatic form, with the auto benefiting from the same durability-focused tune given to the FPV GT-F.
In both models, gold-painted six-piston Brembo calipers will work up front, while four-piston Brembos will bring up the rear. In regular XR8 form, there’s four-pot Brembos at the front wheels and singles at the back.
Ford has yet to confirm whether these new specials will be the last Falcons to wear an XR badge, but with the company's Australian manufacturing set to finish in October this year, they will certainly come close.
XR6 Turbo Sprint exterior:
- New front fog-lamp surround, with cut out vent in bumper
- New stripe decal in signature hockey stick style
- New Sprint badge (Rear)
- New Sprint mudguard badge (Side)
- Indicator moved to wing mirror – body coloured for XR6
- ‘Sprint’ scuff-plates
- Black headlamp bezels
- Body coloured deck-lid Applique
- Staggered 19-inch alloy wheels in black
- 6-Piston (Front), 4-Piston (Rear) Brembo Brakes in Gold
- Numbered build plates for each model, both located on the engine
- Rear Deck spoiler in black
XR8 Sprint exterior mimics XR6, adds:
- Silhouette black painted roof
- Black wing mirrors
XR6 Turbo Sprint, XR8 Sprint interior:
- Unique Sprint Interior – featuring Sprint Seat Package of Leather/Lux Suede trim
- Interior Electro-Chromatic Mirror
- Interior Command Centre, including dual zone climate control and high-series audio
- Unique Shifter assembly and surround
- Manual shifter for V8 gets “Sprint” labelled shifter
- Unique Gauge Cluster with “Sprint” logo
- Sync 2 with satellite navigation and Bluetooth2 connectivity
Both cars will be available in solid Winter White, and metallic shades that include Smoke, Aero Blue, Silhouette, Kinetic and Victory Gold.
NOTE: More photos of the Sprint models are still to come.
2016 Falcon XR6 Turbo Sprint, XR8 Sprint pricing (plus on-road costs):
XR6 Turbo Sprint - automatic - $54,990
XR8 Sprint - manual - $59,990
XR8 Sprint - auto - $62,1901