The new entry-level BMW drop-top will be offered in three model lines - the 220i Convertible (priced at $54,900 plus on-road costs), the 228i Convertible ($68,900 plus costs) and the M235i Convertible ($85,800 plus costs). It replaces the existing 1 Series Convertible, with power up across all model lines.
The pricing positions it relatively closely to the BMW 2 Series Coupe range (22oi at $50,500; 228i at $64,400; M235i at $79,900) but unlike the Coupe there is no diesel model available in the Convertible range.
The new model is said to boast a 20 per cent improvement to its torsional rigidity, and its new soft-top system is said to lower interior noise by up to seven decibels in the rear and 5dB up front.
The roof can be opened and closed at speeds up to 50km/h, and takes 20 seconds to do so. Boot space is rated at 335 litres with the roof up and 280L with the lid down.
In terms of specification, the 2 Series Convertible range sits closely in line with the Coupe, and all engine and transmission options are the same.
The entry-level 220i is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo with 135kW and 270Nm with power going to the rear wheels through an eight-speed automatic with paddleshifters. It is claimed to be able to sprint from 0-100km/h in 7.6 seconds.
The mid-range 228i uses an uprated version of the same engine, pushing out 180kW and 350Nm, again with a standard eight-speed auto. BMW claims it can hit triple figures from a standstill in 6.1sec.
The range-topping M235i is the first-ever drop-top model in the M Performance line of cars. Suitably, it gets a 3.0-litre turbo six-cylinder engine producing 240kW/450Nm, and is claimed to be able to run 0-100km/h in just 5.0sec (0.2sec slower than the Coupe).
BMW 2 Series Convertible specifications by model:
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Driving Experience Control (Comfort, Sport, Eco Pro modes)
- Auto start/stop function
- 17-inch light alloy wheels
- ConnectedDrive internet app connectivity and TeleServices maintenance reminders
- Reverse-view camera
- Rear parking sensors
- Cruise Control with braking function
- Satellite navigation with 6.5-inch screen and iDrive media controller
228i Convertible (adds over 220i):
- Variable Sport Steering
- 18-inch light alloy wheels
- Front parking sensors
- Bi-Xenon headlights
- Sport and Luxury Lines as no-cost option
- Leather upholstery
- BMW Individual High-Gloss Shadow Line or Chrome Line Exterior
M235i Convertible (adds over 228i):
- Adaptive M suspension
- Driving Experience Control with Sport+ mode
- M Sport Brakes
- 18-inch BMW M light-alloy wheels
- M Aerodynamics Package
- BMW Individual High-Gloss Shadow Line
- Interior lights package
- M leather steering wheel
- Navigation system with 8.8-inch screen
BMW 2 Series Convertible pricing (plus on-road costs):
220i - $54,900
228i - $68,900
M235i - $85,800