As we arrived at our lunch destination for the all-new Honda Odyssey launch that CarAdvice attended on Friday, a small, sleek hatch-shape sat tucked in one corner of the large function room veiled in a soft satin cover.
The latter soon proved to be the case.
With coupe styling, but hatch practicality, the five-door Civic Si is certainly a good look, having retained much of the Type-R's aggressively futuristic themes.
Hidden rear door handles mask the rear doors completely from a distance, especially when viewed from a front-side angle (as shown above).
At 4270mm long, 1765mm wide and 1460mm tall, the Civic Si is proportionally not a great deal bigger than its three-door sibling, but clever packaging has allowed the available space to be used quite wisely.
It's a sticking point in many instances for imported cars and indeed something Honda plans to work on with government agencies to make more globally uniform.
Entry and egress is surprisingly easy for a smaller hatch meaning as a five-door, the practicality availed is a step-up from the more sporty three-door model. Unfortunately however rear passenger headroom is a little tight at 956mm.
The Civic Si is powered by a 1.8-litre, i-VTEC, SOHC, four-cylinder petrol engine developing 103kW at 6300rom and 174Nm at 4300rpm via either a five-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.
With a five-star ANCAP rating the Civic Si includes such safety features as dual front, side and curtain airbags; ABS with EBA and EBD; and ESP with Traction Control - all as standard.
Pricing starts at $38,990 (RRP) for the six-speed manual and $41,290 (RRP) for the five-speed automatic.
Metallic paint is an additional $395 with Civic Si available in four colours: Milano Red, Galaxy Grey (M), Alabaster Silver (M) and Crystal Black (M).
To arrange a test drive of the new Honda Civic Si, click here.
- Engine: 1799cc SOHC four-cylinder
- Power: 103kW @ 6300rpm
- Torque: 174Nm @ 4300rpm
- Induction: Multi-point
- Transmission: Six-speed(M)/five-speed(A)
- Driven Wheels: Front
- Brakes: Discs with ABS, EBA & EBD
- 0-100km/h: 8.6 seconds
- CO2 Emissions: 163g/km(M)/172g/km(A)
- Fuel Consumption: 6.9 litres per 100km(M)
- Fuel Consumption: 7.2 litres per 100km(A)
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 50 litres
- Fuel Type: 91RON petrol
- ANCAP Rating: Five-star
- Airbags: Front, side & curtain
- Safety: ESP with Traction Control
- Spare Wheel: Space-saver
- Cargo Capacity: 415/1282 litres
- Tow Capacity: 1400kg (Braked)
- Turning Circle: 5.54 metres (at wheel)
- Warranty: Three Year/100,000km
- Weight: 1285kg (M)/1320kg(A)
- Wheels: 17 x 7.0-inch Alloy