In its second consecutive year of dominating the rankings, Lexus was the clear leader in the survey, which ranks brands according to the number of problems experienced by owners of three-year-old vehicles (2010 model year) over the past 12 months, expressed as problems per 100 vehicles (PP100).
Lexus, Toyota’s luxury division, achieved a rating of 71 PP100, down from 86 PP100 in 2012. The result saw it stretch its dependability ranking lead over second-placed Porsche, which improved from 98 PP100 last year to 94 PP100 in 2013.
Lincoln and Toyota shared third place with a 112 PP100 rating, while Mercedes-Benz rounded out the top five at 115 PP100. Lincoln’s rating improved marginally year to year while Toyota and Mercedes both went backwards compared with 2012.
Now in its 24th
year, the study found vehicle dependability is at an all-time high, with the industry average improving five per cent this year to 126 PP100.
Toyota Motor Corporation enjoyed success in seven different segments, while General Motors picked up four awards.
The 2013 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on the responses of more than 37,000 original owners of 2010 model year vehicles, conducted between October and December 2012.
Top three models per segment
- Sub-compact – Scion xD, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent
- Compact – Toyota Prius, Ford Focus, Mazda3
- Compact sports – Mazda MX-5, Mini Cooper, Scion tC
- Compact premium sports – Nissan 370Z, Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe, Volvo C70
- Mid-size – Hyundai Sonata, Ford Fusion, Buick LaCrosse
- Mid-size sports – Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
- Mid-size premium – Audi A6, Volvo S80, Lexus GS350
- Large – Buick Lucerne, Toyota Avalon, Chevrolet Impala
- Entry premium – Lexus ES350, Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac CTS
- Compact MPV – Scion xB, Chevrolet HHR, Kia Soul
- Compact SUV – Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Toyota FJ Cruiser
- Mid-size SUV – Honda Crosstour, Toyota Venza, Toyota 4Runner
- Large SUV – Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Toyota Sequoia
- Entry premium SUV – Acura RDX, Audi Q5
- Mid-size premium SUV – Lexus RX, Volvo XC70
- Minivan – Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey
- Mid-size pick-up – Ford Ranger, Ram Dakota, Honda Ridgeline
- Large pick-up – GMC Sierra HD, GMC Sierra LD, Chevrolet Avalanche