The Jeep Cherokee is one of the few 4x4's to maintain its off road heritage ahead of the growing trend toward the urban SUV.
The all-new 2008 Jeep Cherokee now comes standard with an all-new full-time four-wheel-drive and Jeep-engineered hill descent control systems.
As before, the 2008 Jeep Cherokee will be offered in two models - Jeep Cherokee Sport and Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Boasting an all-new interior design, the new Cherokee benefits from standard features including automatic temperature control system, power and heated fold-away mirrors and power windows with driver-side one-touch.
The Cherokee Limited adds standard leather trim and brushed stainless-steel door-sill plates.
Standard safety and security features include:
- Advanced multi-stage air bags
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Rough Road Detection
- All-speed Traction Control
- Brake Assist (Electronic Brake Control)
- Brake/Park interlock
- Child seat anchor system (ISOFIX)
- Child-protection rear door locks
- Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM)
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Interior head-impact protection
- Knee bolsters
- Low-risk deployment front passenger air bag
- Seat belt pretensioners (front seat belts)
- Sentry Key Engine Immobiliser
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
- Vehicle theft security alarm
A new option on the Cherokee Limited is the Sky Slider full-length open canvas roof. Similar to the material use in convertibles, it is both weather-resistant and leak-proof offering open-air driving for all occupants.
Buyers will have a choice between two engines - a 3.7-litre SOHC V6 petrol engine and a 2.8-litre DOHC 16-valve common-rail turbo diesel engine.
The petrol model produces 151kW and 314Nm at 4000rpm, and features refinements in the valve train and combustion chamber to enhance low-speed torque.
The diesel model features a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) for rapid throttle response, with 130kW and best in class torque of 460Nm from 2100rpm, allowing a braked towing capacity of 2,270 kilograms and a driving range over 700km.
There are two transmissions offered on the Jeep Cherokee – five-speed automatic (diesel) and four-speed automatic (petrol) transmission – depending on the engine choice.
Jeep Cherokee Sport
- 3.7L V6 Auto $39,990
- 2.8L CRD Auto $43,990
Jeep Cherokee Limited
- 3.7L V6 Auto $45,990
- 2.8L CRD Auto $49,990