• Comfort and low noise; perfect hydropneumatic suspension; solidly built
  • Urban fuel consumption

by Dean

My plan was to purchase a good family estate with a 2.0-litre diesel engine and I was originally looking at a Volkswagen Passat, Ford Mondeo, Opel Insignia or a Toyota Avensis. Premium models from Audi and Mercedes-Benz were too expensive and Citroen was not even considered as an option.

I went for some test drives and had already decided to go for the Passat. While driving passed a Citroen dealership, I decided to cut some waiting time by looking at the cars. But, when I tried the C5, it was completely clear that the feeling while driving this car was much better than any of my other previous options. It was just much more comfortable and fun to drive.

The seats are much better in this model than in older Citroens – they used to be too soft – and Citroen’s hydropneumatic suspension works perfectly giving comfort that cannot be found in any of the other models mentioned and normally requires you to pay at least twice as much and purchase a car from a premium brand. The suspension can be also switched to Sport mode, and in that case your soft family limousine will immediately convert to a dynamic car that with strong grip.

Mileage is 139,000km at this moment, and I have not had a single problem with it. The 2.0-litre HDi engine is working perfectly (as expected for this well known type), the automatic gearbox is working smoothly and I really love driving this car. Next year I’ll be looking for a new vehicle, but this time I’ll start my quest with Citroen.

The only downside for me is higher fuel consumption for heavy urban usage compared with the manual, but it is still in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical specifications.

CITROEN C5 BREAKDOWN