• Holds the Road, Fuel Economy, Safety, Looks good
  • Road Noise, CVT Drone

by Smith

A very competent a decent first car. Purchased second hand with 60K on the clock, for just $10500. At that price what you get is great. A solid 5* ancap with 7 airabgs, ESC, ect. Good forward visibility and very good interior space for such a small car. Good Turning circle and most importantly drives well.

Good sound system for just a base spec car and overall I have been very happy with it and would recommend. Cloth feels like cloth, not plastic like you get in some other cars.

Fuel economy with a mix of driving conditions is around 7.5-8.5 L/100km.

Road noise is poor, but that is to be expected in a car of this class. performance is also excellent for a 2L engine, I have never been in a situation where I’ve been wanting more. Gets up to a 100 quickly enough and has brakes good enough to stop when you want to. CVT drone is a bummer, but you can get used to the shiftless nature of it, you never need to wait for a downshift, if you floor it, it just goes. Suspension is good for smaller bumps and I have experienced very little body roll when taking corners at speed.

Looks of the Hatchback are subjective, but I kinda like it, it makes it look different on the road as there aren’t many cars who have this kind of side profile. I prefer it without the spoiler.

Seat goes back far enough, unlike the Mazda 3 where I feel cramped for space. Also, enough space and leg room in the back for adults (a tad squishy, but you can live with it).

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Es Sportback Review Review