Loading indicator
News & Reviews
Last 7 Days


by Tim Beissmann

Ford Australia has found nothing wrong with the Ford Explorer that went on an uncontrolled high-speed dash along Melbourne’s Eastern Freeway last December.

The 22-year-old driver, Chase Weir, feared for his life when his 2002-model SUV reportedly became stuck on cruise control at 80km/h for more than 50km.

Ford spokeswoman, Sinead McAlary, said Ford has been examining Mr Weir’s Explorer for a week and has found no faults in it, with further investigations still to be carried out.

“We received access to Chase’s vehicle last week and have not found anything wrong with it,” she said.

Earlier investigations by police mechanical experts likewise found no explanation for the runaway incident.

Ms McAlary confirmed there is no connection between the investigation into Mr Weir’s car and a recall expansion issued last Friday.

Certain 1993 to 2001 F-Series trucks, 1995 to 2002 Explorers and 1998 to 2000 Econolines were recalled after a leaking speed control deactivation switch was identified as a possible fire hazard.

The official recall notice reads:

“In certain circumstances the underhood speed control deactivation switch mounted on the brake system may leak and brake fluid contamination in the electrical connector may cause the wiring to overheat, smoke or burn. This condition may occur either when the vehicle is parked or when it is being operated, even if the speed control is not in use.”

Ford says 6282 Australian vehicles are affected by the national recall and will write to all owners at their last known address.

(with AAP)




SHARE THIS ARTICLE