Name Your Car Day is over for another year, but we received some fantastic responses to our survey. So, of course, we thought we’d share some of our favourite car names with you.
Again in 2016, many are influenced by colour, make and model, cartoon characters, power and performance, size, rhyming or alliteration and celebrities. Some left us scratching our heads or rolling our eyes, while others had us in stitches.
No prizes for guessing there was a Skoda Roomster called Vroomster in the mix, or that Harrington has named his Bentley Bentayga Magnus III Snr.
From a Mazda 6 called Ms Rabbit, named after Jessica Rabbit (it’s sexy ‘Soul Red’ colour and her curves), to Kaspa the KiA SPortAge (that’s thinking outside the box), Colleen the Ford Fiesta was named after the Irish girl the owner was dating at the time (err…), a Toyota HiLux called Bessie because she’s like an old farm tractor (gutless but gets the job done, apparently), and Sic ‘Em Rex the Subaru Impreza WRX that was named in honour of an Antz Pantz commercial – some fantastic car names were shared with us.
We narrowed the responses down to a top 10, enjoy.
10. Andrew from VIC called his Toyota Corolla the Slowmobile. Presumably in honour of his driving style and not the capability of the car…
9. Stormin’ Normin the Holden Commodore owned by David from NSW. Stormin’ Norman was the nickname of Norman Schwarzkopf Jnr., a prominent general in the US Army and commander-in-chief of the United States Central Command.
8. Mr Shudders is a Ford Focus owned by Michael in VIC. One can only speculate as to the reasoning behind this name… driving technique, an ode to the weather in VIC?
7. Luke from QLD named his Holden Cruze, Penelope. A beautiful woman with a beautiful name, if I had a Holden Cruze, I’d call it the same.
6. Migaloo can be spotted on the streets of QLD. It’s a white Nissan Patrol with a man called Nick behind the wheel.
5. Ashleigh from VIC has named her Nissan Micra, Cookie Monster. Nom, nom, nom. And it is the perfect cookie jar size.
4. Yellow Mellow the Skoda Octavia RS owned by John in the ACT. If it’s yellow, let it mellow? Is that the message you’re trying to share John?
3. Marco the Volkswagen Polo lives in QLD with Alex. This conjures up childhood memories of spending hours playing in the water in summer.
2. The Bortmobile – inspired by the Simpsons? Or perhaps it’s the batmobile’s less-fortunate cousin? At any rate, it’s a Nissan 370Z owned by Nick in VIC.
1. Not a Soccer Mum is a Mercedes-Benz ML270 owned by John in VIC. Message received – loud and clear!