Chrysler has unleashed its Street and Racing Technology (SRT) tuning arm onto the Grand Cherokee to create the most powerful Jeep ever.
The first four-wheel-drive vehicle from SRT, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is powered by a 6.1-litre HEMI V8 producing 313kW and 569Nm.
This power translates to the road with staggering results, covering zero to 100km/h in the low 5-second range – making it the quickest SUV in Australia priced under $100,000.
Under normal driving conditions, just 5 to 10 percent of torque is sent to the front wheels, although as much as 100 percent can be delivered to the front if required.
The brake package is comprised of Brembo four-piston performance brake callipers finished in black with 360mm vented rotors up front, and 350mm vented rotors in the rear.
Complimenting the behemoth under the bonnet, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 also boasts a far more aggressive exterior design which also provides aerodynamic benefits by reducing lift and drag, while providing sufficient air flow to both the engine and brakes.
The rear has also been modified to accommodate dual centre-exiting 4-inch exhaust tips.
The interior is finished in a dark slate grey colour, featuring accent stitching, a new instrument panel and centre console, as well as an SRT-designed leather-wrapped steering wheel, and new cluster graphics and bezel finishes.
The MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System is now standard equipment for the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 for 2008 which includes satellite navigation and reversing camera.
- 6.1L HEMI® engine
- SRT upgraded A580 five-speed automatic transmission
- Full-time four-wheel drive
- Unique MD146 SRT transfer case
- Unique air induction
- Unique intake manifold
- Unique exhaust manifolds
- Upgraded Dana 44 rear differential
Safety and Security
- Advanced Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
- Advanced multi-stage air bags
- Brake Assist
- LATCH (Lower Anchor and Tethers for Children)
- Digressive load-limiting seat belt retractors
- Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM)
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
- Energy-absorbing steering wheel and column
- Enhanced Accident Response System (EARS)
- Express-up/down front-door windows
- Four-wheel Brake Traction Control (BTC) system
- Head restraints in all outboard seating positions
- Knee bolsters
- ParkSense® rear park assist system
- ParkView™ rear back-up camera
- Rain-sensitive wipers
- Remote keyless entry
- Seat belt pretensioners
- Sentry Key® engine immobilizer theft deterrent system
- Side-curtain air bags with roll-detection system
- Three-point belts in all seating positions
- Tyre pressure monitoring system with warning indicator
- UConnect® hands-free communication system