2018 Skoda Octavia RS245 review
  • Engine is very tuneable; New DSG is very smooth; New front end on the facelift; Huge moon roof; Sporty looks
  • Suspension not sporty enough; Engine note very tame; Premium unleaded only; Front-wheel drive; Ugly wheels

by Bima Muharam

I’ve been driving performance Golfs for a long time – from early VR6-powered stuff to later GTI models with the ever-tuneable EA888 2.0T. Having a young family, it was time to move into something bigger and more practical.

Being a VW person, the Mk7.5 Golf R wagon was high on that list, however I was disappointed that the rear seats didn’t offer much space and it is pretty much a Golf with a bigger boot space.

I looked at the Passat, but felt it was a little mature-looking for my liking. The Tiguan R-Line was nice, but at $65K I didn’t think it was worth the coin.

Enter the Skoda Octavia RS245! Coming from a GTI, I felt right at home, and the amount of coin that was knocked off the retail price made this car an easy decision. When asked what it is like, I say it’s like driving a GTI except with a ton of room, but I must admit it’s not as lively as one on a twisty road.

The VAQ diff in the RS245 and the new seven-speed wet-clutch DSG make this car a much nicer driver’s car over the standard RS, however the extra 11kW (180kW v 169kW) is barely noticeable. I did expect the RS245 with all its marketing to be more hardcore than a standard RS, but it is not. It is a very capable car, but is in its element driving spiritedly but not on the limits.

I’m getting approximately 550–600km per 55L tank, which is pretty much in line with what I was getting in my previous GTI. Skoda offers 12-month/15,000km servicing and a five-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty.

The rear seats are very spacious and the boot space is amazing. The upgraded Canton sound system is a little lacking in the bass department but sound quality is pretty decent.

All in all, I’m very happy with this car and will probably upgrade to another when the all-new Octavia arrives in 2019/2020, if the parent company VW doesn’t jack the price up and keeps them affordable.

SKODA OCTAVIA BREAKDOWN