News & ReviewsLast 7 days
2018 Abarth 595 Competizione review
  • Performance; Build quality; Brakes; Info system; The exhaust
  • Brake squeal

by DANIEL BASCHERA

My darling wife wanted this model for a while now, and I am so glad she did. We have had this Abarth 595C for three months now, and I look forward to the drive, the sound, and the performance of this pocket rocket. We’ve just covered 1000km, and while the ride is very firm in Sport mode, in normal mode it’s quite comfortable. The fuel economy appears to average 8.4L/100km in town and a little better on a long run recently to Mornington.

The Brembo cross-drilled brakes are very effective, but squeal each time. That is the only dislike so far, as this 595 has been reliable and has every option including electric roof, Trophy rims, Beats sound system, Sabelt seats, and the air-con works well.

Handling is superb wet or dry. At the Fiat Car Club outing we attended recently, it turned heads in black with the dual-mode Record Monza quad exhaust that sounds superb.

The sat-nav works well. In fact, it beats the one in my S60 for accuracy and functionality. The 7.0-inch screen is a tad small but does the job. Bluetooth and hands-free are included.

The Abarth seats are very supportive and hug the body well. Long trips are not a problem, they’re just tight when entering and exiting, and not for a tall person – it’s perfect as I’m 172cm and my wife 162cm.

Safety is good with reversing sensors, ESC and seven airbags. The traction control is excellent.

For the driving experience it has paddle-shifters and the five-speed push-button auto transmission, which is easy to engage.

Due to its size, the 595 is easy to wash and wax, and cheap to fuel up running 98 premium with a 35L tank – again a tad small for long trips.

The turning circle is tight – not too many handbrake turns, as you need a fair space to do so!

Our dog Lu Lu the cavoodle loves to sleep on the back seat. It’s ideal for her and warm due to the compact nature of the vehicle.

My wife can fit enough shopping in the rear hatch area, considering we had a V50 wagon prior to this gem. I surf, so the next task is to see how we can fit surf racks – maybe not!

ABARTH 595C BREAKDOWN