Volkswagen Golf 2017 alltrack 132 tsi

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack 132TSI review

I replaced a 2014 Mazda 3 SP25 sedan to buy this car after moving from Sydney to the Southern Highlands. I was after a wagon or SUV, preferably with AWD as in winter the roads can be quite slippery.

The other main contender was the Hyundai Tucson Elite 1.6-litre turbo, which was slightly dearer at $41,000 drive-away compared to $38,990 for the Alltrack. The extra warranty of the Hyundai was five years/unlimited kilometres compared to three years/unlimited kilometres for the VW, but at the time I purchased the car (January 2017), the Hyundai servicing for the turbo-engined Tucson was 7500km/six months compared to VW's 15,000km/12 months. As I’m doing 30,000km per year, I would have been doing four services a year instead of two. I believe the Hyundai services are now 10,000km or 12 months.

I love the load area with the seats down, which gives an 1800mm load floor area. The car is a comfortable freeway cruiser and has averaged 7.5L/100km in its first 37,000km of mostly country driving with once-a-week drives to Sydney also.

Probably what I like least about the car is the DSG transmission in city driving, but fortunately it doesn’t spend much of its life in the city. I love the Xenon headlights with washers for night-time freeway driving.

The car is mostly used as a two-seater, but with a little compromise is a comfortable four-seater. If you have three in the rear seat, they'd want to be good friends. The rear seat passengers have air-conditioning vents, which is good for comfort levels.

The only options I’ve fitted are a rubber floor mat for the load area, as the car carries plants for our garden and items that could scratch the carpet, and a full-size spare wheel with tyre that fits perfectly in the wheel well and should be standard.

The car has Apple CarPlay that works well and is a feature I would be looking for in any future car I buy. It also has a CD player in the glovebox, which I discovered a couple of days after owning the car.

With the amount of freeway driving I do, I wish the car had radar cruise control. Also, I would like steering wheel paddles for manual gear changes. Both of these items are available as part of expensive option packages.

I have found the Golf Alltrack to be the perfect fit for me at the moment. The 1.8-litre engine provides good performance and economy, and the car makes good use of its moderate dimensions. So far in 37,000km of driving, there have been no issues and the car has run perfectly.

It also comes standard with front and rear parking sensors and rear camera, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlights, a turning function for the headlights, and dipping left mirror when reverse is selected for parking. Selectable driving modes are Normal, Sport, Off-road and Individual.

It is the best all-round car I’ve owned.