News & ReviewsLast 7 days
Car Advice
2016 Ford Falcon XR6 review
  • Infotainment; DRLs; Reliability; Handling; Space
  • Interior feels old; Not enough safety features; Fuel efficiency; Steering wheel position; Keyless entry

by Luke

The 2016 Ford Falcon XR6 (Luxury Pack) has to be one of the better daily drivers I’ve had. I’ve been fortunate enough to have driven a broad range of vehicles (some not mine) from VW to Lexus and even a Mercedes or two. After taking into consideration what kind of car you get for your money, I would ultimately, and some might even say ‘oddly’, pick the Falcon over any other car on the Australian market. Why you ask? Well, let me tell you…

The Falcon is a fantastic car to drive. I currently have a naturally aspirated, and even sometimes I tell myself ‘I’d have no licence if I had a turbo’ – the power is ‘on point’. It doesn’t come bursting with power that’s impossible to contain, but it has enough to give you that launch when you need to get out of awkward situations regarding merging, overtaking and for those mountain-style roads (like Mount Ousley). You feel comfortable driving along those types of roads knowing you’ve got some size to your car as well as sufficient power to pull you through.

I will admit the electronics make a massive improvement from the MkI/II FG models infotainment-wise, but sadly it is missing things like an electric handbrake, blind-spot monitors, lane assist, adaptive cruise control and automated park assist. But that’s exactly why I chose the Falcon. All those gizmos and gadgets are great, but over time electronics do fail and can cause headaches.

I do appreciate the fact my Falcon has pretty much an almost unlimited abundance of parts, but the simplicity of the basics at the same time. It gives me peace of mind knowing that there isn’t much to go wrong, and anything that does, well, it’s always going to be a quick and financially friendly fix. That’s compared to my aunt who pays a minimum of $1500 for her Audi Q5 service, while I can have peace of mind knowing it’ll be $430–$500 at most, which in turn keeps maintenance costs low, and that’s going to Ford itself. I’m sure a qualified mechanic could do it a lot cheaper and just as effective. Ford also has a loan car, and it makes a difference knowing you have a car to get you around while yours is being serviced.

Now, I did mention I have the Luxury Pack, which entails 19-inch rims, leather seats, dual-zone air-con and premium sound. These little bells and whistles do make a difference, and it’s hard to understand why Ford didn’t just do dual-zone as standard like Holden was able to. But in Ford’s defence, Sync2 is by far the best infotainment for its features and user-friendly nature, and its well-designed satellite navigation. My father’s VW always, without fail, has me on the side of the road just trying to work out how to put an address in.

The interior design is a bit dated 100 per cent. It was created back in 2007, and maybe if Ford put some more detail in by making those plastic inserts on the centre ICC and dashboard a gloss finish, the cabin would feel somewhat more modern for an 11-year-old design. But it has aged well and at the same time still has that modern feel thankfully, but Ford could have done more.

All in all, the Falcon is a great car. It is a bit thirsty, so if you are budget-conscious on fuel, this is not the car for you. But if you do a lot of kays and can afford $88–$105 every 7–10 days, then this car will serve you well. It is thirsty, but it is a good drive.

So, I would easily recommend a Falcon, but only if you can afford the fuel. RIP.

FORD FALCON BREAKDOWN