New details of the 2022 Subaru WRX have emerged out of Japan, indicating the new sports sedan will continue to offer a CVT automatic as well as the familiar six-speed manual, and will grow in size compared to its predecessor.
Japanese publication Best Car reports the upcoming fifth-generation version of Subaru's rally hero will continue to offer a CVT automatic transmission – likely to the dismay of many enthusiasts hoping for a more performance-oriented transmission in the new WRX, along the lines of Volkswagen's quick-shifting dual-clutch auto.
In Japan, the CVT will be the sole transmission option available with the 'standard' WRX, as per the outgoing model – however, a six-speed manual is all but confirmed to be offered in other markets, including Australia, where the three-pedal gearbox still accounts for about 40 per cent of WRX sales.
That proportion compares favourably to the sales splits posted by other brands, namely Volkswagen, which claimed prior to the manual's demise in 2018 that the three-pedal option comprised less than 10 per cent of sales of its Golf GTI hot hatch, with the remaining 90 per cent plus opting for a quicker DSG automatic.
According to Best Car, bolted to the CVT transmission will be a 2.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder shared with the US-market Subaru Outback, though bespoke tuning should see the WRX lift outputs to 213kW and 412Nm – up 16kW and 62Nm over the outgoing model's 197kW/350Nm.
The publication claims the new WRX will measure 4650mm long, 1850mm wide and 1450mm high, with a 2670mm wheelbase – 55mm longer in overall length, 55mm wider, 25mm lower and 20mm longer in wheelbase than the outgoing model.
Under the skin, the new rally-bred sedan is all but confirmed to ride on Subaru's latest Subaru Global Platform modular architecture – shared with the new Subaru Levorg wagon, a car which is expected to eventually receive the WRX's mechanicals once it hits Australian shores.
The Levorg's high-tech interior – centred around an 11.6-inch infotainment touchscreen and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster – and adaptive dampers will be shared with the sedan, according to the Japanese outlet, though the latter will score unique, sports-focused tuning.
Keen for more punch? Best Car claims the flagship Subaru WRX STI will return in 2022, reportedly powered by an uprated version of the 2.4-litre turbo-four, sending 294kW and 490Nm to all four wheels through a six-speed manual transmission.
A big jump over the 221kW/407Nm outputted by the outgoing WRX STI, the publication claims the near-300kW tune will be made possible by revised engine tuning and strengthened pistons, connecting rods and other core engine components.
The 2022 Subaru WRX will go on sale in Australia before the end of 2021, the brand confirmed earlier this month.
The flagship WRX STI is expected to launch locally later in 2022.