It was all the way back in March that we saw spy photos of the new Kia Cerato Hatch but it wasn't until today that the Korean company unveiled its latest Cerato variant at the Sydney Motorshow.
The Kia Cerato is an important model for the brand, given it has quickly become its best seller globally. Lat year it managed to find 304,295 owners and that was with just the 4-door and 2-door Koup variants. So far this year over 225,000 Ceratos have been sold and with the introduction of the 5-door Hatchback, it's sure to beat 2009's record and increase to 1.2 million units by 2012.
“The latest Cerato is designed to appeal especially to those consumers with young families who prefer a 5-door hatchback for its style and enhanced practicality. The availability of this third body style for our small passenger segment category will enable Kia dealers to meet the needs of a broader range of customers. This derivative will boost total Cerato sales to an even higher level across all Australian states.” said Kia Motors Australia Chief Operating Officer, Tony Barlow.
As with the Kia Sportage and the upcoming Optima, Kia Australia says it has worked extensively to tune the new Cerato for Australian conditions. That means unique setup of the model's suspension for better ride and handling.
It makes use of the 2.0-litre four-cylinder Theta II engine that outputs 115kW and 194Nm of torque. That leads to a 0-100km/h time of 9.1 seconds and a top speed of 190km/h.
Despite the overall change in shape, the Kia Cerato 5-door still measures the same as its sedan brother when it comes to width, height and wheelbase. Nonetheless it has had its rear overhang shrank by a 190mm meaning it measures a little smaller than before (4,340 mm long). It has a cargo volume of 385 litres (VDA).
The new Kia Cerato 5-door will officially launch next week with CarAdvice invited to the local launch (check back Friday next week for a review).
In addition to the new body shape Kia will also add new styling elements as well as equipment and technical improvements (transmission changes, better fuel economy) to the 2011 Kia Cerato sedan and 2-door Koup variants starting from January next year.
Kia Cerato 5-Door Hatchback RRP list:
- Si Manual $20,240
- Si Automatic $22,240
- SLi Manual $24,040
- SLi Automatic $26,240
Kia Cerato Technical Specifications:
2011 Kia Cerato 5-door Hatchback
Body & Chassis
- Five-door, five-seater hatchback with all-steel unitary construction bodyshell. Fitted with a transversely-mounted gasoline engine driving the front wheels via a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission.
- 2.0-litre / 114.7kW
- Name Theta II (4-in-line)
- Type DOHC, four-cylinder, with CVVT
- Capacity 2.0-litres, 1998 cc
- Max power 115 kW @ 6200 rpm
- Max torque 194 Nm @ 4300 rpm
- Six-Speed Manual
- Six-Speed Automatic.
Suspension & Damping
- Front Fully independent by MacPherson struts, with coil springs and gas-filled shock absorbers. Anti-roll stabiliser bar.
- Rear Coupled torsion beam rear axle, with coil springs and gas-filled shock absorbers.
- Type Electric (motor driven) power-assisted rack and pinion
- Gearing 2.80 turns lock-to-lock / 2.68 (with 17-inch wheels)
- Turning circle 10.32 metres / 10.78 metres (with 17-inch wheels)
- Front 280 x 26 mm ventilated discs
- Rear 262 x 10 mm solid discs
- ABS 4-Channel anti-lock system with EBD
- ESC Electronic Stability Control with TCS
Wheels & Tyres
- Standard Steel 15 in x 6.5J 195/65 R15 tyres
- SLi model Alloy 17 in x 7.0J 215/45 R17 tyres
- Overall length 4340 Overall width 1775 (excl. door mirrors)
- Overall height 1460 Wheelbase 2650
- Front overhang 895 Rear overhang 795
- Front track 1557 Rear track 1564
Interior Front Rear
- Headroom 1015 975
- Legroom 1100 890
- Shoulder room 1415 1390
- Hip room 1345 1355
- 2.0 MT 2.0 AT
- Fuel tank (litres) 52.0 52.0
- Luggage (SAE) 415 litres (all seats upright)
- Curb weight (min.) 1302 1328
- Gross weight 1760 1780
- Top speed / kph 190 190
- 0-to-100 kph / sec 9.1 9.8
Fuel Economy (litres/100 km)*
- Overall 7.5 7.7
- CO2 g/km 179 183
[gallery link="file" columns="4"]