However the show is off to a promising start with SBS Australia appealing to the general public in the search for their next lovable trio to host the Australian incarnation of Top Gear.
For your chance to become the next Clarkson, May or Hammond, SBS simply requests a short video of you strutting your stuff in front of the camera, so long as you meet the following (highly encouraging) criteria.
- 18 years or older on 1 January, 2008 - though if you’re a Lewis Hamilton whose skills could impress our insurance company, then we might consider you.
- The holder of a current, unblemished drivers licence.
- Available for filming in Australia at dates to be confirmed in 2008.
- Not affiliated (beHolden ... hmm) to any car company or motoring company through sponsorship, commercial arrangements or employment.
- Demonstrably knowledgeable, opinionated and passionate about cars - and able to deliver that knowledge and passion (along with humour, of course) on screen.
- NOT a clone of the magnificent and simply unique Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond or James May. We’re looking for Australia’s own Top Gear faces. Of course you could be a clone of The Stig.
- You may be an amateur motor enthusiast and expert who’s not a television presenter. You may be a motoring journalist with little or no television experience. You may have some television experience BUT we’re NOT looking for classic television presenters without knowledge, experience or expertise.
For more details check out the SBS Top Gear website.