Australian pricing for the 2020 Audi RS6 Avant and 2020 Audi RS7 Sportback has been revealed today, following their global unveiling late last year.
Although they carry different names, the RS6 Avant and RS7 Sportback are closely related mechanically. Both are powered by a 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine, producing 441kW and 800Nm – the latter available from 2050 to 4500rpm.
Power is sent to Audi's quattro all-wheel drive system through an eight-speed 'tiptronic' torque-converter automatic transmission. With this combination, the RS6 and RS7 models feature a 40:60 forward-rear torque split, with up to 85 per cent of engine torque available to the rear "for especially sporty handling".
Audi says the 2150kg wagon and 2140kg liftback (unladen) will hit 100km/h from standstill in an identical 3.6 seconds, charging on to 200km/h in 12 seconds.
Fuel consumption is listed at 11.7L/100km for the RS6, and 11.6L/100km for the RS7. CO2 emissions are listed at 268g/km and 265g/km respectively.
As with other new Audi offerings, both models benefit from a 48-volt 'mild-hybrid' system that can recover up to 12kW while coasting or cruising under light throttle. The start/stop system also benefits, drawing on the 48V system at speeds up to 22km/h and delivering a fuel consumption saving of up to 0.8L/100km.
Braking is handled by steel brakes in standard form, with red 10-piston callipers gripping 420mm discs up front and 370mm discs at the rear.
Going for the optional $19,500 RS Dynamic Plus pack adds 440mm ceramic front brakes (with callipers available in the same red, or grey and blue options), along with a 305km/h top speed (up from 280km/h).
Also fitted standard in Australia as part of the RS Dynamic package is the otherwise optional new dynamic all-wheel steering system. This design turns the rear wheels by up to five degrees opposite to the fronts at low speeds, and up to two degrees at high speeds. Audi says the low-speed function can reduce the turning circle by as much as 1.0 metre.
The RS Dynamic package also adds adaptive air suspension, adjusting ride height and comfort. Not standard is the $2850 Dynamic Ride Control system, which diagonally links the suspension hydraulically as a lag-free solution to reducing body roll and pitch.
These systems are coordinated through the Audi Drive Select controller, which also sees the RS6 and RS7 models debut new 'RS 1' and 'RS 2' modes (which does not, despite the name, see smaller RS cars pop out the rear hatches of either model) that can be quickly and configured "for specific high-performance settings".
Both models roll on 22-inch Audi Sport alloy wheels as standard beneath their widened guards (stretched 40mm each side for the RS6 and 20mm each side for the RS7), and HD Matrix headlights are also standard equipment.
Standard kit and trim in both includes Nappa leather throughout, with a Valcona leather trim to the front seats – both of which get full electric adjustability.
A powered tailgate, powered and heated side mirrors, power-assisted door closure, electric steering adjustment and privacy glass are also standard.
On the tech front, both models get a 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit instrument display behind the steering wheel, along with a 10.1-inch main display atop the dash and an 8.6-inch display for climate control.
Wireless Apple Carplay is standard, although Android Auto remains a wired-only connection. (Wireless Android Auto is only now beginning to roll out for other brands, but with the RS6 and RS7 revealed in August/September 2019, both appear to have missed the cut.)
Wireless phone charging, four USB points, digital radio, and 16-speaker / 750W Bang & Olufsen audio are all standard.
For safety, there's Adaptive cruise assist with Stop&Go and traffic jam assist, active lane assist and 360-degree cameras with kerb view. Tyre pressure monitoring, an alarm and anti-theft wheel nuts with loose wheel detection are also standard kit.
Luggage capacity in the RS6 is listed at 565 litres seats-up and 1680 litres when folded down, while the RS7 lists 535 and 1390 litres.
2020 Audi A6 pricing for Australia
The 2020 Audi A6 40TFSI sedan is available in Australia now.
All prices exclude on-road costs
Sensory package - $11,000
- Sunshades for the rear door windows (RS 6 Avant) / Sunblind for rear window (RS 7 Sportback)
- Alcantara headlining in black
- Leather covered steering wheel airbag cover
- Heated rear seats
- Bang & Olufsen 3D Advanced Sound System including 19 loudpeakers with a total output of 1,820 watts
RS Dynamic package plus - $19,500
- RS ceramic brake system with red brake callipers
- Top speed increased to 305 km/h
- Also available with blue brake callipers (PA3B) and grey brake callipers (PA3G)
Carbon and black exterior styling package - $8700
- Front spoiler, front side flaps, side sill inserts and rear diffuser insert in gloss carbon
- Trim strips on the side windows in gloss black
- Exterior mirror housings in gloss black
Matt aluminium look styling package - no-cost option
- Front spoiler, front side flaps, side sill inserts, rear diffuser insert and trim strips on the side windows in matt aluminium look
- Roof rails in matt aluminium look (RS6 Avant)
- Exterior mirror housings in matt aluminium look
RS Design package, Red - $2900
- Steering wheel rim and gear selector in Alcantara, black with contrasting stitching in express red
- Door armrests and gear level gaitor in fine Nappa leather, black with contrasting stitching in express red
- Sides of the centre console in Alcantara, black with contrasting stitching in express red
- Seat belts for front and rear outer seats in black with contrasting red edges
- Floor mats in black with contrasting stitching in express red and RS logo on front mats
RS Design package, Grey - $2900
- Steering wheel rim and gear selector in Alcantara, black with contrasting stitching in grey
- Door armrests and gear level gaitor in fine Nappa leather, black with contrasting stitching in grey
- Sides of the centre console in Alcantara, black with contrasting stitching in grey
- Seat belts for front and rear outer seats in black with contrasting grey edges
- Floor mats in black with contrasting stitching in grey and RS logo on front mats