Porsche says it will restart manufacturing, but with new health and safety protocols.
- shares

Sports car maker Porsche has announced it will resume production at German plants from May 4 following COVID-19 lockdowns.

In a statement, Porsche said it will begin work on a “site and task-specific basis” at its Zuffenhausen and Leipzig facilities, building towards full production capacity in stages.

“We have monitored and analysed the situation very carefully right from the start and flexibly adapted processes,” a Porsche spokesperson said.

“Now is the right time to look forward with optimism and to resume work – subject to special precautions.”

Porsche will implement factory health and safety practices including the use of face masks and workers maintaining a minimum distance of 1.5 metres from each other.

Porsche will also emphasise “mobile working” for employees where possible, including meetings being held via video or telephone and a ban on business travel.

Restarting production at Porsche’s plants will mark the end of a six week shutdown period for the brand.

Earlier this week, Porsche’s parent company Volkswagen restarted production at its Wolfsburg facility with a similar, staggered approach to what Porsche will implement.

“Production will start at 10 to 15 per cent of capacity, increasing to around 40 per cent the following week," Volkswagen said in a statement.

Porsche’s announcement comes a day after the United Auto Workers union warned against US carmakers resuming car production, claiming that face masks and social distancing measures are not adequate to stop the spread of COVID-19 in car factory environments.