This means these vans are now available equipped with an all-wheel drive system. It's not the first time a van has been offered with such levels of grip and safety but it is the first time the drivetrain has been offered on a standard-height van from Volkswagen.
The package is available with a powerful turbo-diesel engine too, the 2.0TDI, which outputs 132kW of power and 400Nm of torque. The all-wheel drive 2.0TDI package also comes with the option of a seven-speed DSG (dual-clutch auto) or a conventional six-speed manual.
Volkswagen's previous 4MOTION system used to adopt a Haldex2, mechanically-controlled centre differential. The new 4MOTION system fitted on these vans incorporates an electronically-controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch design which constantly adjusts torque bias - front to rear - according to traction. It can also transfer up to 100 percent of power and torque to the rear wheels if need be. Additionally, the system can switch itself off during normal highway driving conditions, putting less demand on the electro-hydraulics, aiding economic fuel consumption.
Pricing for the new Volkswagen Transporter 4MOTION and Volkswagen Multivan 4MOTION are:
- Transporter SWB 2.0TDI 132kW 6-speed manual 4MOTION: $45,490
- Transporter SWB 2.0TDI 132kW 7-speed DSG 4MOTION: $48,490
- Transporter Crew Van SWB 2.0TDI 132kW 7-speed DSG 4MOTION: $51,990
- Transporter LWB 2.0TDI 132kW 6-speed manual 4MOTION: $47,490
- Transporter LWB 2.0TDI 132kW 7-speed DSG 4MOTION: $50,490
- Transporter Dual Cab 2.0TDI 132kW 6-speed manual 4MOTION: $48,490
- Multivan Comfortline 2.0TDI 132kW 7-speed DSG 4MOTION: $60,990
- Multivan Highline 2.0TDI 132kW 7-speed DSG 4MOTION: $77,990