Nevertheless, Volve have released a new beast, the XC90 V8 which pumps out a massive 232kW and 440Nm. In case you are wondering what the heck I am doing posting an article about a volvo, I figured its time we start taking volvo a little more seriously. The XC90 V8 will mark the first time Volvo Car has offered a V8 in Australia.
Volvo claims that the XC90 will get from 0-100km/h in 7.3 seconds. Which really isn't that fast, until you realize how bloody big the XC90 is! The unique, narrow 60-degree V8 is the first V8 in the world to exceed ULEV2 emissions requirements, what does that mean? Well, for a start you just have to look at the fuel economy which rates at 13.5L/100km combined (City & Highway).
Overall, the XC90 V8 offers 16 percent better torque and 16 percent better power than the XC90 T6 it replaces. The V8 engine will be mated to a six-speed automatic drivetrain for what Volvo claims will give smooth and refined driving dynamics.
The XC90 remains the only premium SUV to provide as standard seating for seven adults. The Volvo XC90 also rightfully claims to be the safest SUV in the world, and the first SUV in the world to receive a five-star NCAP rating.
I am a little scared of seeing Volvo Driving Soccer moms in control of a V8 volvo, some inner part of my brain has a funny sensation when I think of a 45 year old driving her only son to school in a V8 volvo, perhaps its that, fear of death feeling that I generally feel when I am around 4WDs. Although anything is better than the god damn Nissan Patrols or Toyota Land cruisers!
The XC90 V8 will arrive in Australian showrooms in early November (2006) priced at a RRP of $84,950.
XC90 V8 Prominent Standard Features:
- 4.4-litre V8
- Six-speed automatic w/ Geartronic
- Premium Sound w/ 6 in-dash CD stacker
- Seven seats
- Leather upholstery
- 18-inch Camulus alloy wheels
- Power driver and passenger seats
- IAQS (Interior Air Quality System) filtration
- Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC)
- Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- Roll Over Protection System (ROPS)
- Inflatable Curtain (IC) all three rows of seats
- Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS)
- Side Impact Protection System (SIPS)
- Child booster seat (middle, 2nd row)
- Rain sensing wipers
- Heated front seats
- Laminated side security glass
Bring on the Volvo driving Soccer moms!