Mini has finally announced the official arrival date for the new MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S. Mini said yesterday that the Cooper will arrive down under in the second quarter of 2007, Mini says that after building 800,000 examples, the entire car has been redesigned, yet MINI retains and authentically updates its key characteristics.
MINI says that apart from the obvious facelift the new Cooper range sports an all-new power train with refined, high-tech, clean engines, lighter kerb weight, more standard features and the choice of more individualization options. Mini says that the new engines are far more fuel efficient and throttle response as been substantially improved in both models.
No word yet as to the price for the new Mini.
Exterior Changes to the new Mini
- Safer, lighter, longer body.
- Refined, more masculine, more aerodynamically efficient silhouette with vertical airflow edges on C pillars.
- Wheel-at-each-corner stance with short overhangs.
- Muscular, rising shoulder-line enhances dynamic wedge-look.
- Fully glazed wrap-around windows for trademark floating roof look.
- New, larger headlamps have integrated direction indicators.
- Revised chrome-plated grille design with three horizontal slats for MINI Cooper, hexagonal mesh for MINI Cooper S.
- MINI Cooper S bonnet 20 mm higher at leading edge, turbo engine retains cold air intake slot in bonnet.
- More rounded rear section, larger taillights, integrated roof spoiler, enlarged on MINI Cooper S for optimised airflow and extra downforce.
- Ultra-modern look for all new interior with larger high-set iconic Centre Speedo also home to audio/entertainment and (optional) navigation controls and displays.
- Rev counter moves to top of steering column cowl.
- Toggle switches live on in centre stack and header rail as sunroof controls.
- Elliptical door lining trim now extends into rear side panel.
- 16-piece chrome line interior highlight package optional.
- Optional Classic leather lounge seats complete with hand-sewn leather piping.
- Slimmer lower central dash unit releases additional footwell space.
- New ignition transponder design, stop/start button.
- More vim and vigour from high-tech power train: More power, less fuel, more torque, fewer emissions for Zesty new MINI.
Mini Cooper Engine
- 1.6-litre in line West-East four-cylinder.
- VALVETRONIC gives fully variable valve stroke and dwell for responsive, refined, frugal and clean driving.
- Volume flow controlled chain driven oil pump, reduces fuel consumption by one percent.
- On-demand water pump, allows faster warm up for quicker catalyst start-up.
- Performance ( former model) 88 kW (85) at 6,000 rpm, 160 (150) Nm of torque at 4,250 (4,500) rpm.
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h in 9.1s (9.1s)
- In gear acceleration 80-120 km/h: 4th: 9.4s, 5th: 12.1s, 6th: 14.3s ( previous 5-speed manual: 4th: 10.5s, 13.5s).
- Fuel consumption: EU Combined cycle 5.8 l/100 km (6.9 l/100 km).
- Emissions: 139 g/km CO2 (166 g/km).
- Weight: 1065kg manual, 1140 kg (auto), (1075 kg man /1150 kg auto).
MINI Cooper S Engine
- 1.6-litre twin camshaft engine with direct petrol injection. Twin Scroll turbocharger complete with intercooler. Virtually no turbo lag. Infinitely variable inlet valves, sodium-cooled exhaust valves.
- 128 kW (125) at 5,500 (6,000) rpm, peak torque 240 Nm (220) at 1,600 – 5,000 (4,000) rpm, with Overboost feature allowing 260 Nm between 1,700 – 4,500 rpm)
- Acceleration: 0-100 km/h in 7.1s (7.2s)
- In gear acceleration 80-120 km/h: 4th: 5.5s, 5th: 7.0s, 6th: 8.0s ( previous 6-speed manual: 4th: 6.1s, 5th: 7.7s, 6th: 10.5s).
- Fuel consumption: EU Combined cycle 6.9 l/100 km (8.6 l/100 km).
- Emissions: 164 g/km CO2 (207 g/km).
- Weight: 1130 kg manual, 1205 kg (auto), (1140 kg man /1215 kg auto).
- Standard six-speed manual gearbox on both models, double cone synchromesh for MINI Cooper S
- Optional six-speed automatic with steering wheel-mounted paddles.
- Crisp gearshift response and early lock-up torque converter thanks to advanced control technology.
- Front-wheel drive, low centre of gravity, long wheelbase (2467 mm), wide track, short body, stiff body shell and sporty suspension deliver a highly agile drive.
- McPherson strut front suspension with anti-roll bar.
- Weight-saving aluminium longitudinal track control arms for central rear arm axle.
- Electromechanical power assisted steering means agile and nimble response. Speed-related assistance boosted via sport button, which sharpens responsiveness still further.
- Ventilated front rotors are 280 mm (276 mm) on MINI Cooper, 294 mm (276 mm) on MINI Cooper S.
- Rear discs are 259 mm on both models ( unchanged).
- MINI continues with six airbags as standard in Australia, including large curtain airbags to protect front and rear occupants.
- MINI also continues to offer ABS Anti-Lock Brakes, EBD Electronic Brake Force Distribution, CBC Cornering Brake Control.
- ASC+T Automatic Stability Control and Traction will be standard on all Australian delivered MINI Cooper and MNI Cooper S models.
- DSC Dynamic Stability Control continues as an option.
- Brake Assistant, Hill Start Assist are new.