In Australia, two engines are available from launch, including the much used 1.8T with 120 kW and 225 Nm. A new 3.2 FSI petrol direct injection V6 is also now available with 188 kW and 330 Nm. FSI technology combines high performance with a spontaneous response to every movement of the accelerator pedal and a peak-torque range at a high level.
The new Audi Cabriolet is priced at $83,400 for the 4-cylinder and $107,800 for the V6 model. Befitting a new model with the pedigree of the Audi Cabriolet, innovative and sophisticated technologies are of course present, from the Xenon Plus headlights with automatic beam angle adjustment and daytime driving lights (optional for the 1.8T), to adaptive headlights using swivelling cornering lights available as an option for both models. Comprehensive occupant protection systems – including a two-stage driver’s airbag and side airbags – together with the highly complex, latest-generation
electronic stabilisation program ESP, provide high reserves of safety.
Features specific to the Cabriolet include improved side impact protection and the active roll-over protection system with two roll-over bars which are projected behind the rear seats. The design of this new generation is self-assured.
The fully automatic, electro-hydraulic hood can be operated when driving at a speed of up to 30 km/h, a useful feature while driving in the city, for example, where it is not always possible to stop suddenly to close the roof. Thanks to excellent thermal insulation and glass rear window, the Audi Cabriolet can also be used without restriction in the winter. The standard heated front seats are another excellent touch for winter Cabriolet driving.
The set-up of the dynamic suspension system, with four-link front and selftracking trapezoidal-link rear suspension, has been completely modified and numerous new components added. Audi’s chassis engineers have made extensive changes in the area of elastokinematics, and to the spring and shock absorber settings.
At a glance: The new Audi A4 Cabriolet
- Newly designed body with emphatically sporty styling
- Dimensions: length 4,573 mm, height 1,391 mm, wheelbase 2,650mm. Luggage compartment: 315 litres (246 litres with the hood open)
Engines (longitudinally installed):
- 3.2 FSI V6 developing 188 kW (255 bhp), 330 Nm, 0-100 km/h: 6.8 s, top speed: 250 km/h (governed)
- 1.8 T developing 120 kW (163 bhp), 225 Nm, 0-100 km/h: 9.4 s, top speed: 226 km/h
- - 7-speed continuously variable multitronic automatic transmission (in combination with front-wheel drive)
- - Front-wheel drive
- - Dynamic suspension: optimised four-link front suspension and selftracking
- trapezoidal-link rear suspension for precise, agile handling,
- brake system with improved performance, latest-generation ESP
- New: adaptive light (dynamic cornering lights)