The news coincides with the popular model's 6,000,000th sales milestone, the manufacturer hosting simultaneous celebrations in its Chinese, Turkish and UK (Southampton) plants.
In Britain, 2.1 million Transit models have been sold since the revolutionary model was first introduced back in 1965.
"It's great to be here in Southamptonas Transit reaches another significant milestone," said Ford's European manufacturing vice president, Ken Macfarlane."In its lifetime this Plant has addressed many challenges and yet maintained the high quality of its product."This is made possible by a dedicated workforce and I thank them for that."
In the UK, the limited edition Sapphire models will be available in the following numbers:
- Transit 280 SWB (low roof) 2.2-litre turbo-diesel - 550 units
- Transit 280 MWB (mid roof) 2.2-litre turbo-diesel - 350 units
- Transit 350 LWB (mid roof) 2.4-litre turbo-diesel - 250 units
All models include the following features:
- Silver-painted front grille with body colour bumper
- Silver-painted mirror caps on electrically-operated and heated door mirrors
- Silver-painted rear light guards
- New 'Ink Blue' paint
- Air conditioning
- Front fog lights
- Bodyside mouldings
- Full wheel covers
- Tinted glass
- Electrically-operated windows
- 'Quickclear' heated front windscreen
- Stereo radio/CD player and auxiliary MP3 connector and steering column-mounted controls
- Bluetooth with Voice Control System
- Cruise control
- Full-width steel bulkhead
- DIN-compliant cargo tie-down eyes
- Standard ABS, ESP and driver airbag
The name 'Sapphire' comes from the British tradition of naming wedding anniversaries and linking them to precious materials: 45 years is Sapphire.