Toyota's brand value fell by 27 per cent in the survey, but still recorded a strong US$21.77 billion (AUD$23.46 billion). By comparison, BMW fell only 9 per cent following the economic crisis of 2009 to see it retain a value of $21.82 billion (AUD$23.52 billion).
"It is likely that Toyota’s brand has suffered further in recent months, but it is a strong brand and is trying hard to overcome the damage through a major communications campaign," said Millward Brown global brand director, Peter Walshe."All of our evidence shows that strong brands are much more likely to recover from a crisis."
According to the survey, the most valued top five automotive brands are as follows:
- BMW $21.82 billion (AUD$23.52 billion)
- Toyota $21.77 billion (AUD$23.46 billion)
- Honda $14.30 billion (AUD$15.42 billion)
- Mercedes-Benz $13.74 billion (AUD$14.81 billion)
- Porsche $12.02 billion (AUD$12.96 billion)