Audi has delayed the reveal of its new e-tron quattro SUV following the arrest of CEO Rupert Stadler last week, with the Audi Summit event scheduled for August 30 cancelled.
The Financial Times (subscription required) reports the reveal will now take place in the United States sometime later in the year. Electric vehicle blog Electrek says it received an invite earlier this month to an event in San Francisco on September 17, although that could just be an American-market launch event.
Audi's decision to delay the launch of the e-tron quattro comes after news last week that CEO, Rupert Stadler, was detained by German authorities over potential "evidence suppression" relating to the ongoing Dieselgate emissions scandal.
"As part of an investigation into diesel affairs and Audi engines, the Munich prosecutor's office executed an arrest warrant against Professor Rupert Stadler on June 18," the Munich prosecutor's office said in a statement.
Audi used a statement to confirm its CEO has been "provisionally arrested", and highlighted the fact he's innocent until proven guilty – which he hasn't been, at this point.
Despite the delayed reveal, the e-tron quattro is still scheduled for a European market launch at the end of the year, though rival Mercedes-Benz is reportedly scheduled to reveal the all-electric EQC on September 4 – a fortnight before Audi's US event.
Based on the prototype revealed in Geneva, expect to see around 500km of driving on a full charge, and outputs somewhere in the vicinity of 320kW and 800Nm from Audi's electric SUV. We also know it'll support 150kW charging, for 80 per cent of range in just 30 minutes on the right charge plug.
Stay tuned to CarAdvice for all the latest.