Michael McCormack promises $6.64 million, commits support to 2023
The Australian Federal Government will support ANCAP for five more years, announcing a $6.64 million funding plan for the independent crash-test authority.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Transport and Infrastructure, Michael McCormack, said the decision is aimed at safeguarding the independent crash-test body's crucial work.
"The work of the Australasian New Car Assessment Program is vital to improving the safety of vehicles on Australian roads, and it is crucial we provide assistance at a Federal level to help it continue," he said.
Including the Australian Government, which joined in 2010, ANCAP is made up of 23 member organisations, including Australian State and Territory Governments, automotive clubs like the RACV, and the New Zealand Government.
"This changing test protocol, and this funding boost, enables us to keep [the] pressure on the vehicle manufacturers. We really need to make sure Australians and New Zealanders are not missing out on any important safety features that will keep them safe on the roads," James Goodwin, ANCAP CEO, said at this morning's event in Canberra.
"Safety isn't a luxury, and it shouldn't be a luxury," he later added.
ANCAP last year announced it was expanding its range of crash tests, with new child and adult dummies, fresh pedestrian and cyclist targets, and new barriers among the revisions. Auto-emergency braking and lane-keeping were also added to the test roster, as semi-autonomous assists become more important parts of the buying decision.
The push was part of the transition to blanket Euro NCAP standards, completed on January 1, 2018.
"While safety standards have improved over the past 20 years, our support for ANCAP will keep ensuring Australians get the right information about their vehicle's safety before purchase, and independent testing of vehicles will continue to provide consumers with that information."
MORE: News from ANCAP