Local details for the 2018 BMW M3 CS have been revealed, with the "most potent M3 ever built" to kick off at $179,900 before on-road costs when it goes on sale in June.
Priced $33,000 dearer than the M3 Competition, the M3 CS gets an uprated version of the 'standard' car's 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight six, now making 338kW of power and 600Nm of torque – 7kW and 50Nm more than the Competition Pack. Drive is sent to the rear wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic.
With the extra grunt, the M3 CS manages the 0-100km/h sprint in just 3.9 seconds, making it 0.1 seconds quicker to triple figures than the M3 Pure and M3 Competition variants.
Specification highlights include 19-inch front and 20-inch rear forged alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres – Super Sport rubber is available as a no-cost option. Carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) components for the roof, bonnet, front splitter, rear diffuser and rear gurney flap are all standard, just as they are on the related M4 CS.
There's also adaptive LED headlights with darkened 'BMW Black Line' LED tail-lights, quad-80mm stainless steel tailpipes, model-specific adaptive M suspension, model-specific drive mode calibrations, an active M differential, head-up display with M content, the M Driver's Package – meaning top speed increases to 280km/h – and full leather Merino upholstery finished in Black/Silverstone.
Rounding out the features list are front and rear parking sensors, a model-specific 12-speaker audio system, an 8.8-inch infotainment system, cruise control "with braking function", speed limit recognition, BMW Connected+ and BMW ConnectedDrive Services.
While the standard equipment list won't leave you wanting for much, BMW says there's still a range of options including carbon-ceramic brakes, a rear roller sunblind, a headlight washer system, TV functionality for the infotainment system, along with wireless Apple CarPlay integration.
The BMW M3 CS goes on sale in June 2018, with just 1200 units available globally.
Click the photos tab for more images
2018 BMW M3 CS details
- Mixed, forged light-alloy wheels, featuring 19-inch front and 20-inch rear diameters
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres as standard; Super Sport tyres are a no-cost option
- CFRP roof, bonnet, front splitter, rear diffuser and rear gurney flap
- Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Black Line LED tail-lights
- Quad 80mm stainless steel tailpipes, engraved with M emblems
- Seven-speed M DCT transmission
- CFRP prop shaft
- Specifically tuned adaptive M suspension
- M Drive Modes with specific calibrations
- Active M differential
- M Driver’s Package, with top speed increased to 280km/h
- Full leather Merino upholstery in bi-colour Black/Silverstone
- BMW Individual full leather interior trim, in bicolour Black/Silverstone
- Head-up display with specific M contents
- Front and rear Park Distance Control
- 12-speaker HiFi system, specially adapted for the M3 CS
- Navigation System Professional with 8.8-inch touch screen display
- Cruise control with braking function
- Speed limit Info
- BMW Connected+
- BMW ConnectedDrive Services including real-time traffic information, Intelligent Emergency Call, TeleServices, Remote Services and ConnectedDrive Freedom including Concierge Services
- M3 Pure - $129,900
- M3 Competition - $146,900
- M3 CS - $179,900