The new-generation 2018 BMW X3 has been detailed for the Australian market this week, ahead of a November lauch.
Kicking off at $68,900 plus on-road costs for the entry-level xDrive20d, the new X3 starts nearly $5000 more than the outgoing model - which starts at $63,800.
Standard kit on the base model includes the 'xLine' exterior package with matte-aluminium design elements, 19-inch alloy wheels, electric folding exterior mirrors, roof rails, a leather steering wheel, cloth/leather seat trim with electrically-adjustable front pews, LED headlights, and full-colour head-up display (HUD).
Other highlights include parking assistant with front and rear sensors, rear-view camera, Driving Assistant with lane departure warning, wireless phone charging, along with the 6.5-inch Navigation System Business with real-time traffic updates and speed limit recognition.
Power in the entry-level variant comes from a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel, churning out a respectable 140kW of power and 400Nm of torque. BMW claims the base car can sprint from 0-100km/h in 8.0 seconds, while using 5.7L/100km on the combined cycle. Drive is sent to all four wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Next in the range is the xDrive30i, which starts at $75,900 plus on-road costs. Additional specification over the xDrive20d includes 20-inch alloy wheels, 'Vernasca' leather upholstery, adaptive LED headlights with highbeam assist, comfort access, paddle-shifters for the eight-speed automatic transmission, Driving Assistant Plus, Parking Assistance Plus with a 360-degree camera system, a 12.0-inch digital instrument display, along with Navigation Professional - incorporating a 10.0-inch touchscreen.
Additionally, the xDrive30i picks up a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol rather than the oiler, which develops 185kW and 350Nm. The claimed 0-100km/h time is an impressive 6.3 seconds, while fuel use is rated at 7.6L/100km combined.
Sitting atop the line-up, for now at least, is the xDrive30d ($83,900 plus ORCs). Specification mirrors that of the xDrive30i, though under the bonnet is a 3.0-litre six-cylinder turbo-diesel which pumps out a meaty 195kW of power and 620Nm of torque.
BMW claims the flagship diesel can sprint from 0-100/h in a spritely 5.8 seconds while using 6.0L/100km.
The three launch variants will be joined by "additional models" next year - one of which likely to be the 265kW/500Nm M40i performance variant (above), which can slingshot to triple figures from a standstill in just 4.8 seconds.
Globally, there's also sDrive20i and xDrive20i versions, the former foregoing all-wheel drive, which could eventually serve as a sub-$60k price leader for the Bavarian crossover.
Several option packages are also available for the launch range, including the popular M Sport Package, Innovations Package, Exclusive Package and Rear Comfort Package.
The M Sport Package ($4550 on xDrive 20d, $3800 on xDrive30i and 30d) adds various sporty enhancements like high-gloss black 'Shadow Line' exterior highlights, dynamic damper control, LED foglights, an M body kit, M leather steering wheel, M sports suspension, M sports brakes, and either 19-inch (xDrive20d) or 20-inch (xDrive30i and 30d) M light alloy wheels.
Next is the Innovations Package ($2500), which is offered exclusively on the xDrive20d. Extras include comfort access, Parking Assistant Plus, the 12.0-inch multifunction instrument display and adaptive LED headlights - largely bringing the base model inline with its more expensive siblings.
Third is the Exclusive Package ($3800), available on all variants. Specification enhancements include ambient interior lighting, a 'Sensatec' leather-look dashboard trim, woodgrain interior inserts, lumbar support for the front seats, heated front seats, along with an upgraded 'HiFi' sound system.
Finally, the Rear Comfort Package ($1820), is available on all versions of the X3, and adds a roller blind for the rear side windows, front and rear seat heating, along with rear seat backrest adjustment.
Buyers looking to personalise their X3 further can choose from a plethora of additional single option items, including exterior paint finishes, alloy wheel designs and interior trim highlights.
The new BMW X3 range is available to order now, before hitting showrooms in November 2017.
2018 BMW X3 pricing and specifications
xDrive20d - $68,900
xDrive30i - $75,900
xDrive30d - $83,900
- xLine exterior trim with matt aluminium design elements
- 19-inch light alloy wheels
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Electric folding exterior mirrors
- Roof rails
- Sport leather steering wheel
- Electric sports front seats trimmed in combination cloth and leather upholstery
- LED headlights with extended contents
- Full colour head-up display
- Parking Assistant with front and rear park distance control and rear view camera
- Driving Assistant with Lane Departure Warning
- Wireless phone charging
- Navigation system Business with Real-Time Traffic Information and Speed Limit Info
xDrive30i and 30d add:
- 20-inch light alloy wheels
- ‘Vernasca’ leather upholstery
- Adaptive LED headlights with highbeam assist
- Comfort Access System
- Eight-speed sports automatic transmission with shift paddles
- Driving Assistant Plus with galvanic embellishers
- Parking Assistant Plus with Surround View
- Multi-function instrument display with 12.0-inch display
- Navigation system Professional with 10.0-inch touchscreen
M Sport Package ($4,550 on xDrive20d, $3,800 on xDrive30i and 30d)
- ‘Vernasca’ cloth/leather upholstery with black or blue contrast stitching (xDrive20d)
- BMW Individual anthracite headliner
- BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
- BMW Individual roof rails in high-gloss Shadow Line
- Dynamic Damper Control
- Interior trim in Aluminium Rhombicle pattern with Pearl Chrome highlights
- LED fog-lights
- M Aerodynamics Package
- M leather steering wheel
- M Sport Suspension
- 19-inch M light-alloy wheels (xDrive20d)
- Eight-speed Steptronic transmission with gearshift paddles (xDrive20d)
- 20-inch M light-alloy wheels (xDrive30i and 30d)
- M Sport Brake
Innovations Package ($2,500 for X3 xDrive20d)
- Comfort Access
- Parking Assistant Plus
- 12.0-inch multi-function instrument display
- Adaptive LED headlights
Exclusive Package ($3,800, all variants)
- Ambient interior light
- Sensatec instrument panel
- Woodgrain interior trims
- Front seat Lumbar Support
- Front seat heating
- HiFi Sound System
Rear Comfort Package ($1,820, all variants)
- Roller blind for rear side windows
- Seat heating, front and rear
- Rear seat backrest adjustment