The 2017 Honda Civic hatch has arrived on sale almost a year to the day after its sedan sibling, and while a bit of time may have passed between the launches of the two, there are plenty of similarities in terms of their pricing and specs.
Honda Australia this week said that the new five-door model will likely more than double its sales, with private buyers the main target for the company. Small hatchbacks are a favourite among those consumers.
Stylistically, the hatchback models are differentiated from their sedan siblings by unique front and rear bumpers with large black fake air vents (these are pretty polarising!), a black grille finish (unlike the chrome version on most of the sedan models), and all hatches have a body-colour roof spoiler, black hatch spoiler, and – obviously – a rear windscreen wiper.
The interior has a ‘charcoal’ head-liner, luggage tie-down hooks, and a retractable cargo blind. Honda calls this a lateral tonneau cover, and unlike in most other hatches, it isn’t capable of holding any weight like the traditional parcel shelf – rather, it’s just there to stop people peering into your boot through the glass on the hatch.
The slightly sportier looking RS models are marginally different again, with twin central exhaust tips, piano black side skirts, black front and rear lower spoilers, and a 12-speaker stereo with subwoofer. It costs $500 more than its sedan counterpart - see the full pricing run-down below.
As with the sedan, the hatch model has a five-variant range, with no manual models available.
The line-up kicks off with the VTi and VTi-S, both of which are powered by the brand's 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine teamed to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) auto, while the VTi-L, RS and VTi-LX have a 1.5-litre turbocharged four-cylinder, also with a CVT.
The 1.8L engine has 104kW of power (at 6500rpm) and 174Nm of torque (at 4300rpm), while the downsized 1.5L turbo model has a bit more grunt, with outputs of 127kW (at 5500rpm) and 220Nm (from 1700-5500rpm). The 1.8L uses a claimed 6.4 litres per 100 kilometres, while the 1.5L has a slightly lower claim - 6.1L/100km.
Obviously being a Honda there is a focus on practicality, with the Civic hatch offering the largest boot of any five-door model in its class: there's a 414-litre cargo hold, which is a bit smaller than the sedan (519L) but has the added practicality of better load-in height.
The rear seats fold down in a 60:40 split, but there are no Magic Seats this time around.
Standard equipment highlights include a 7.0-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, not to mention Bluetooth phone and audio, a rear-view camera and six airbags (dual front, front-side and full-length curtains).
Here's a full pricing and spec breakdown for the 2017 Honda Civic hatch range:
Pricing (plus on-road costs):
- VTi: $22,390
- VTi-S: $24,490
- VTi-L: $27,790
- RS: $32,290
- VTi-LX: $33,590
Specifications, by model
- 16-inch steel wheels
- Body-coloured door handles
- Powered door mirrors
- Powered windows with auto up/down function (driver & front passenger)
- Halogen projector headlights
- LED daytime running lights
- Black fabric seats
- Cruise control with speed limiter
- 7.0-inch touch display with radio, Bluetooth control, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, two USB ports and one HDMI port
- Eight speakers (four speakers, four tweeters)
- Eco Assist System (speedometer display)
- ECON Mode
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Driver Information Interface with colour display
- Steering wheel-mounted controls
- Bluetooth phone connectivity
- Cruise control
- Air conditioning single zone climate control
- Remote central locking
- Front, side, full-length curtain airbags
- Rear-view camera with normal, wide, top-down views and on-screen guides
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
- Agile Handling Assist System (AHAS)
- Straight Driving Assist
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electric Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Tyre Deflation Warning System (DWS)
- Two ISOFIX points
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Integrated door mirror indicators
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- LaneWatch side camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Smart keyless entry
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Sharkfin antenna (VTi, VTi-S have in-glass type)
- Electrically retractable door mirrors
- Automatic wipers
- Automatic headlights
- Dual-zone climate control
- Automatic up/down function for all windows
- Privacy glass for rear passengers
- Illuminated sunvisor vanity mirror
- DAB+ digital radio
- Dark chrome door handles
- Boot-lid spoiler
- One-touch tilt & opening electric sunroof
- LED headlights
- Auto levelling headlights
- Drilled alloy pedals
- Eight-way powered driver’s seat
- Black leather-appointed seats
- Heated front seats
- Leather-wrapped gear knob
- Central exhaust outlets
- Piano black side skirts
- Black front and rear lower spoilers
- 12-speaker stereo with subwoofer
- Adaptive cruise control
- Turn-by-turn navigation
- Auto dimming rear-view mirror
- Garmin satellite navigation with SUNA traffic alerts
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF)